Do You Refrigerate Your Jam Type Fillings?

Decorating By tarheelgirl Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 11:57pm by dsilbern

tarheelgirl Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 6

I normally mix raspberry jam into my buttercream. Is it necessary to refrigerate?

5 replies
TexasSugar Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 6

Nope, that is one of the pluses of using perserves and jams as a filling.

maidofcake Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 6

If it's not going to be used within a day or so, a buttercream made with BUTTER, and/or other perishable products such as milk, cream, should always be stored in the refrigerator.

The high sugar content makes the jam less likely to spoil unrefrigerated, but butter has a high fat content and has a tendency to go rancid if not stored properly.

If you are using a shortening-cream, you can keep the mixture out

tarheelgirl Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the replies! I had to settle a debate! =)

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by maidofcake

If it's not going to be used within a day or so, a buttercream made with BUTTER, and/or other perishable products such as milk, cream, should always be stored in the refrigerator.

The high sugar content makes the jam less likely to spoil unrefrigerated, but butter has a high fat content and has a tendency to go rancid if not stored properly.

If you are using a shortening-cream, you can keep the mixture out

So that stick of butter I have sitting out to spread on my toast/dinner rolls is going to make me sick?

dsilbern Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 6

That stick of butter sitting out has a high possibility of making you sick. It would depend on your immune system and what it's used to.

My in laws have "soft butter" they keep in the cabinet - they are used to eating it. Not knowing this I used it because I thought it had softened up on the table during dinner. I was in the bathroom all day the next day. I had a fit on my husband when I found out about the "soft butter".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%