Figurine Help

Decorating By nicoles0305 Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 9:18pm by BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD

nicoles0305 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 6

I am going to make a figurine this weekend. I want to try candy clay. I've made figurines out of fondant and gumpaste before and always have a problem getting them to stand. I've tried wire in them but they still don't stand well and usually topple over. I definitely can't put them on the cakes before transit. What is the trick to getting fondant/gumpaste figurines to stand? Will candy clay also be like this? TIA!

5 replies
all4cake Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 6

I thought the ones with wire in them had the wires extend below the feet...inserted into styrofoam to dry then inserted into the cake ( using coffee stirrers/straws/whatever to protect the cake from contact with the wires).

Is that how you're doing them and they still topple over?

Possibly attach it to a disk of the same substance (gumpaste to gumpaste...modeling chocolate to modeling chocolate...with their appropriate glue) allow to completely dry in place on the disk,using supports all around. Then, place disk with figure, on top of cake.

IDK...just a thought

icer101 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 6

hi, when i make fondant/g/p figures... or pastiallage figures. i use a small skewer. put up threw legs of whatever figure it is.. leave 2" or more below the figure.. place in a styrofoam block and let it dry. there are some figures in my pics. just post one of a girl model.. the skewers are up thru her legs and feet.. i stood her up in styrofoam block to dry.. then placed her on cake as soon as i ices.. while it was fresh.. so she would stand up good.. and she did. client was very happy .. she drove it to a restaurant to celebrate. hth..i haven,t used candy clay for modeling.. only for flowers,etc.. you would have to work faster with that. because of the melting process. but lot of decorators do.. i just choose not to.. the people on my ace of cake.. cake. and tables ,etc. is all from pastiallage. the people have these skewers up their legs and feet.

nicoles0305 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 6

So then if I do use gumpaste, what will help it hold its shape better? I find that when making a person, by standing it up to dry, sometimes the arms fall down from where I had them and the legs kind of droop onto themselves so it looks like the figure has rubber legs.

all4cake Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 6

In that case, I would consider modeling the limbs separately(legs with skewer/wire/whatever inserted) and assemble in stages...allowing it to dry between stages...supporting each element in the position desired (if you want the arms bent, prop something against them until the glue is set enough to hold them without the supports)...

BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 6

I use skewers / dowels always and make the figures in stages to it can dry- modeling chocolate or candy clay as some call it, can get very soft if it is overworked or not allowed to harden between stages--I have made some very very large & very very small figures before and you have got to let it harden in between stages- dusting or kneeding tylose powder can help expedite the process too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%