Pricing Question, But Not How Much To Charge...promise

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 28 Jan 2010 , 5:51pm by Renaejrk

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone,
I have a pricing question, but it's not what would you charge for this cake, but rather how much will it cost you to make it? I'm cosidering doing a cake for a friend, and was just wondering if I can swing it, but having hard time figuring out my out of pocket cost for it. I'm looking for a ballpark, as I undersand that recipes differ and such, but here are the basics of the cake:

4 tiers (16-13-10-7)
all vanila, scratch preferably (i'm not sure if it'll really save money doing doctored box WASC)
all covered in purchased fondant ( satin ice or fondarific)
using SPS for supports

Do you mind helping me out? I'm not counting time, just straight cost of ingredients and supplies. Do you think $150 to $200.00 will cover it? Or is it too high?
Thanks in advance, P

10 replies
butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 11

I thinkyou may be cutting it really close for that amount. Depends on if you can get some discounts on some of your items etc. I would likely budget around $300.00 for me but that's because I must order everything online and pay the shipping (which for me is a arm and a leg).

scoobydid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobydid Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 11

I could give you an answer to your question but I'd rather share a way for you to answer your own question. Sit down with your recipe, list out all the ingredients, take a trip to your local grocery store, write down the prices, come home and do the math.

Prices vary, depending on how you choose to approach the situation and where you live. For example, you will need eggs. My grocery store won't let me buy 3 eggs, so I have to get 1 dozen, for $ 1.29. You can either factor the $ 1.29 as the cost for your eggs or divide that $ 1.29 by 12, determining the cost per egg and then multiply that back by the number of eggs you need in the recipe (in my example, times 3).

You can extract this further by adding in your fuel costs and electric needs, etc. Do you have the necessary pan sizes? Take it as far as you want to go. Only you know if doing this cake for your friend is something you can swing.

Tough love sometimes comes across harsh. I don't mind helping someone out who needs help but you're looking for a lazy shortcut. In the long run, this exercise will prove far more valuable to you because you will gain the knowledge of how to figure out of pocket costs.

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 11

Speaking as someone who underestimated the costs, don't short yourself. Shipping adds huge charges, especially for fondant and sps. Also, you didn't mention the decoration part, that can cost alot too. Even just ribbon is expensive. I have learned to say I think it will be around this and if I can save more money I will give you that back.

Sarah

sweetmandic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmandic Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 11

If you try making your own fondant it might be less expensive for you.

Pebbles1727 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you Scoobydid, I understand that you were trying to be helpful, however, I have an idea of how I can ultimately figure out the cost. I don't see my question as lazy but rather as an opportunity to save time. You see I know what I'm comfortable spending, all I wanted is for helpful community on CC to tell me what their cake as described (no additional decorations) would cost them to make. If most of the answers run in line or below what I'm willing to spend, then I'll take time to do an actual cost analysis, but if most responses statistically run much higher, than I do not need to be spending any more time on this by trying to do the leg work. In my book, it's time management.
Thanks, P

Pebbles1727 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 11

Shipping is not bad, its about $15.00 for both SPS and fondant, so it will not add significant amount to the total.
P

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:26pm
post #8 of 11

Download one of the price matrixes - it really is helpful and you will have it for future cakes! You probably at least have a ballpark figure on how much each ingredient costs - butter, flour, etc - and it will do the math for you! It will save you time & give you a better idea of how much it will cost you.

Pebbles1727 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:28pm
post #9 of 11

That sounds great! Which one would you recommend and where do I find it? Thanks, P

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:37pm
post #10 of 11

It is hard to give you the cost of the cake, because there are many factors involved. Someone may buy in bulk and there for it saves them money. Someone's grocery store may price things higher, there for it costs them more money.

How much you spend is part of the pricing equation, and varies from state to state, city to city, store to store and of course recipe to recipe.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:51pm
post #11 of 11

I like the home hobby matrix - she put a lot of her own recipes/ingredients lists, but you can just replace those with your own, or copy and paste to start a new one! You just have to know how much of a bag of sugar or flour, etc - like if you use 2 cups in your recipe and there are 10 cups in a bag, you use 1/5 of a bag, then you can put in how much the bag costs & it will figure up how much 2 cups costs and add it to your total cost.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%