Cake I Freeze Milk?

Decorating By Mrs-A Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 5:42am by milkmaid42

Mrs-A Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 8:10am
post #1 of 16

hi everyone... so heres the deal. my thing this year is to bake a different cake from scratch every week - which my coworkers will end up eating 99% of the time (today was yummy & moist coconut cake) and most of the recipes im looking at use milk

now, i dont drink milk, neither hubby and i drink tea or coffee and he uses soy milk so even though i buy the smallest carton possible, im still stuck with half a carton of good milk that seems a waste to throw out.

can i freeze it and use for a cake the following week? i dont even know if milk will last a week in the fridge or will it go off

any suggestions and thanks

15 replies
Justbeck101 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 8:47am
post #2 of 16

yes you can freeze milk

anamado Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 9:36am
post #3 of 16

Well, defrost milk tastes AWFULLY! Maybe in the cakes you can't tell... I don't know...

Justbeck101 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 9:37am
post #4 of 16

it tastes the same. just shake it up.

edited to add:
Of course, this is assuming milk is processed the same where you are......only way to know is to try it.

anamado Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 10:18am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbeck101

it tastes the same. just shake it up.
Of course, this is assuming milk is processed the same where you are......only way to know is to try it.

I haven't tried it lately. But it is a childhood memory I have... The first time my parents bought a big freezer. They tried several things, milk included. I still remember its taste... My mother end up throwing it all away.
But it is true that it was processed differently in those days... And I do live in Portugal...

Mike1394 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 16

Freeze it in ice cube trays. That way when you bake you just take out what you need.

Mike

amysue99 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 16

I freeze milk all the time with no ill-effects. And, yes, it will keep ok for a week in the fridge.

vagostino Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 16

how about buying milk powder and making a little bit at a time? I'm not sure how will the final product tastes like but I don;t believe it'll be such big a difference....

Bluehue Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:34pm
post #9 of 16

Mrs A - yes, you can freeze milk - just remember to let it thaw out in the fridge - icon_wink.gif
I only freeze the whole cream milk - not the skinny stuff or the hi-lo.

If you freeze it in the ice cube trays - make sure you cover them with glad wrap tho - otherwise the milk can take on other smells from thr freezer....

If it is only a small portion - tip it into one of those zip lock bags and then it can lay down flat.
Will only take half the time to thaw out.

ACTUALLY - SEARCH TO THE BACK OF THE MILK SECTON AS YOU MIGHT FIND A CARTON WITH A LONGER SHELF LIFE DATE ON IT - that way it can keep longer in your fridge.

arghhh - cap lock on - sorry...not really yelling. icon_redface.gif

Blue

milkmaid42 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:05pm
post #10 of 16

I live a great distance from town and no longer have cows. Milk is a real staple to me and I don't like to run out. I keep several gallons in the freezer and I find if I shake it well after thawing, it tastes just fine. You would certainly see no difference in baking. I do take the precaution, however, to place the plastic jug in a bowl while thawing for sometimes the expansion can crack the plastic and leak. For those who don't use a large quantity of milk, I like the idea of freezing in Zip Loc bags that Bluehue suggests. (Bye the way, now that I am buying store bought milk, I am referring to 2% fat.)

Mrs-A Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 9:54pm
post #11 of 16

thanks everyone - i think i will experiment between freezing some of it and leaving some in the fridge for a week. i cant even smell milk to notice if its gone off because all milk smells bad to me so i will have to get hubby to test it for me icon_smile.gif

cheers and thanks again!

momtofourmonkeys Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 10:34pm
post #12 of 16

Milk is a staple for us too and with a family of 6 we go through quite a bit each month. We buy and freeze all the time. Make sure it is thawed and then shake it well before opening. The taste will be the same as it was when you bought it. (We use 2%). If freezing by the gallon or half-gallon make sure you begin thawing well in advance because it could take a few days to thaw completely in the fridge. If using freezer bags, it shouldn't take long at all.

prterrell Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:58am
post #13 of 16

Yes, you can freeze milk.

You can also purchase dried milk powder and sub that for milk in your baking. Just mix the milk powder in with your dry ingredients and then use water in the same amount as the milk in your recipe. The box of milk powder will let you know how much powder you need for 1 cup, etc.

I do this in all my cakes that call for milk, as hubby and I also do not drink cow's milk. Works great and the milk powder is shelf stable for like a year or more!

milkmaid42 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:04am
post #14 of 16

A woman after my own heart, momtofourmonkeys...I raised 4 monkeys, er sons, too. Only I was a divorced mom so there were just 5 of us.
I wasn't planning on mentioning this, but when in a great hurry I have been known to thaw a gallon in the microwave. I place it flat on a plate and nuke at half power. I stop it every few minutes to shake vigorously and return it for a few more minutes. I stop when there is still a small core of ice in the middle and by shaking it frequently, it really doesn't get to a dangerously warm state. I just don't thaw completely, but it does shorten the time. Boy, I sure do miss the good sweet milk from Schwanlii, (the cow in my avatar), and the delicious cheeses I used to make.

tesso Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:20am
post #15 of 16

I dont know if they sell this where you are at. but you can buy milk in a box. that just sits on shelf until you need it. It comes in 1/2 pints, pints, and quarts. I will see if I can find the name of it.

Also. I have used cans of evaporated milk in my recipes. they worked great, actually made the cake a little more moist/richer than usual. which i liked. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

milkmaid42 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:42am
post #16 of 16

I don't know why I didn't mention UHT (Ultra High Temperature--or Ultra High Pasteurized) milk. I first discovered it when I lived in Germany with my little children. I kept in on the shelf and it was so handy to tuck into the picnic basket for spontaneous outings. I have seen it here in Walmart along with the powdered milks. I can't remember the name, I think it starts with the letter P...I know that Borden makes it, too, but I haven't seen that here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%