Bad Weather And Orders

Business By chasley101 Updated 28 Jan 2010 , 7:52pm by chasley101

chasley101 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:53am
post #1 of 7

I'm not sure what to do. We are expecting bad weather here and a couple customers are wanting to know how late of a notice they can give to cancel their orders. The cakes have been baked already, they're due Saturday.

What should I say? Does anyone have any type of clause in their contract regarding weather??

6 replies
Deb_ Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:00am
post #2 of 7

Yes, I state in my contract that every effort will be made to deliver during inclement weather, however if there is a "state of emergency" issued and we're not allowed on the roads then it is out of my control.

CakeForte Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:07am
post #3 of 7

I do the same...but generally, if a customer wants to cancel. I offer a credit, but no money back.

Did you already decorate the cakes for them? Do you have the space to freeze them and use later? Like for tastings or an open house?
Or, would you be able to finish the project a day early so they can get it a day early?

Just some different things to consider that would determine how you would handle their request.

chasley101 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 7

i don't like to freeze cakes - no offense to those that do!!! do i just eat the cost of the cakes i made?

whats the best way to freeze cakes?

TheDomesticDiva Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 7

If you already made and decorated it, and they cancel, they pay for it. Simple as that. If they want to let you eat it, that's their business, but if they cancel two days before the event and everything's already been made, sorry. Why do you have to be the one to lose money and time?

If it's just baked layers, at this point, I agree with other posters--freeze them. You're wasting money and time if you don't.

If nothing's been purchased or made yet, and there's a horrible storm on the way, then fine, they can have a credit for another date.

cakesdivine Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 7

A question...

Did you already collect full payment? You should always have full payment in hand PRIOR to you even opening your oven. Then inclement weather or not the ball is in their court, NO REFUNDS. They cancel they eat the cost...and NO CREDIT either, why? Because even if they re order for another time, you are still out that money for the original order. Custom cakes cannot be resold to others generally.

As far as freezing...

It is a misnomer that freezing is a bad thing...for baked goods it is it best friend! It helps add moisture.

Wrap the cake if undecorated in Glad Press'n Seal. It is good in the freezer with no harm to the flavor for at least a month. If the cake is decorated, box it and wrap the box in the Press'n Seal and then it will keep for at least 2 weeks. Only drawback to freezing an already decorated cake is if you airbrush, use dark colors, or cover with fondant the cake will get condensation during defrost and can ruin some if not all of the decor.

chasley101 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 7

It's just the cake - no decorations! Thank goodness!

Thanks for your help! I don't really know how to handle the payment before purchase b/c I do this business out of my home. I don't have a convenient store front for them to drop payment off when they order.

Do you have them pay up front for all orders no matter the amount?

Thank you for the 'freezing cake' tip!! I really appreciate that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%