Put Egg Yolks In White Cake Mix? Does It Matter?

Decorating By VS8894 Updated 28 Jan 2010 , 10:28am by indydebi

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:27am
post #1 of 11

I am baking two layers of 11 x 15 White Cake. I forgot to take out the egg yolks on one of the layers? Does it matter? Should I re-bake it?

Thanks for any advise

Vicki

10 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:37am
post #2 of 11

How many eggs did the recipe call for?

The cake will not be pure white, the yolks will give a slight yellow color.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:37am
post #3 of 11

It won't be as pure, snow white as on with just whites, more of a vanilla color, but I think it'll be fine. I always use whole eggs, even in white cakes, I just like the flavor and texture it gives them. Try it and see you might just be a convert too!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:39am
post #4 of 11

Do not rebake it. It will be fine.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:41am
post #5 of 11

My cakes aren't "white" anyway - I just call them vanilla instead of white - explains the off-white/yellowish color. Even when I use whites only they are still not white, so this works for me!

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:52am
post #6 of 11

It was 8 eggs each layer. One of them is just going to be whiter than the other, I don't think they will really notice or care. I just wasn't sure if it changed the taste.

Thanks for all the replies

Vicki

Deb_ Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:54am
post #7 of 11

There may be a slight taste difference. Try a piece when you level it and see if it's too "eggy" (probably not a word) icon_lol.gif

Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:59am
post #8 of 11

I always use whole eggs, even in white cakes that call for only the whites. Vanilla is a great way to describe it. don't rebake - it will be better with the whole eggs. Who knows. You may like it so well you always make cakes that way.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:37am
post #9 of 11

seriously, unless you're looking for a pure white look, it will be fine. The fat in an egg is located in the yolk and fat is what makes our cakes moist. So as mentioned above you may end up liking this better.

When I added yolks to the white cake, I called it "Wedding Cake". My regular white cake was "white cake".

Deb_ Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:47am
post #10 of 11

My only concern is that she used the same amount of whole eggs as the amount of whites the recipe called for.

For example....my white cake recipe calls for 10 whites OR 5 whole eggs, so 10 whole eggs would be overkill.

Also, she baked 1 layer with the whole eggs and 1 layer with just the whites, so when this cake is put together there will be a difference in color and taste.

If it were 2 separate cakes then I think it would be ok, but to use these 2 layers in the same cake tier may be an issue.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 10:28am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

My only concern is that she used the same amount of whole eggs as the amount of whites the recipe called for.

For example....my white cake recipe calls for 10 whites OR 5 whole eggs, so 10 whole eggs would be overkill.

Many of us add an extra egg to our recipe or our box mix. I'm one of them. When I would mix up a batch of white cake mix, it could involve using 48 eggs (12 mixes in a batch). Instead of using 48 egg whites, I'd use 48 whole eggs.

Best, most moist cakes I ever made! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%