Pizza Sauce & Toppings On The Cake Pizza's

Decorating By StPete Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 7:11pm by vtcake

StPete Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 7

I have looked for about an hour now on this site for the answer to this question, before I asked it. I'm making a pizza cake for a buddy's birthday. I want the pizza sauce to look real.. and I remember sometime a go something about using strawberry jelly with the buttercream to make the sauce look real.. is this right? and what does everyone use for ingredients on the pizza.. thanks in advance for all your help!

Michelle

6 replies
prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 7

I haven't made one, but if I were, I'd either use straight up strawberry or raspberry jam (seedless, of course).

Sara789 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 7

Sugar-free strawberry jam works best. The sugar-free version has a better color. I've also heard of people using strawberry filling that they've strained through doubled cheesecloth. I assume you heat up the jam before straining the seeds out.

mandirombold Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:05am
post #4 of 7

I would mix seedless strawberry jam and a packet of sugar free jello. (If ou have time to experiment try Raspberry it has a deeper red color.

Renaejrk Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:34am
post #5 of 7

You could also make a cookie type glaze, but use more corn syrup so it wouldn't set up as hard. When I made my spaghetti cake, it was lemon so I made lemon curd and colored it dark red - my hubby loved it! You could use lots of things!

vtcake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 7

Red buttercream frosting works just as well as anything. (I'm not a fan of jam or jelly and cake together)

I used fondant for the toppings, and grated white chocolate for the cheese.

I glazed the crust with simple syrup to give it that baked pizza look.
LL

vtcake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 7

Red buttercream frosting works just as well as anything. (I'm not a fan of jam or jelly and cake together)

I used fondant for the toppings, and grated white chocolate for the cheese.

I glazed the crust with simple syrup to give it that baked pizza look.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%