Fondant Spirals

Decorating By vvstar32 Updated 28 Jan 2010 , 4:18am by cownsj

vvstar32 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 6

Just wondering how to do the spirals like this, not really how to do them but how to i get them to hold up & not break in the cake? Should i use some kind of wire, rod, or other? Thanks so much!

5 replies
LyndaOlsen Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 6

It looks to me like they took fondant or gumpaste, wrapped it around a straw to create the curled spiral. Gum paste dries quicker and I believe is lighter than fondant so it may be a better medium to use.

Your question, I believe is how to attach them to the cake not how to make them. For those spirals you want to stand up, I suggest inserting some wire into a straight non-spiraled portion. Once dry, you should be able to just insert them into different areas. If you want the spirals to be completely edible, you might try spaghetti noodles instead of wire. They hold up pretty well, that is providing the spirals are not too tall or heavy.

Good luck, hope this helps.

tiggy2 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 6

If you use wires you will need to put straws or coffee stirers in the cake to stick them into. Never stick wire directly into the cake.

LyndaOlsen Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:25am
post #4 of 6

This is the first time, I've heard you should not put covered wire, used for gumpaste, into a cake without a dowel, straw or stir stick to house the wire.

Although, I do agree that it is the preferable method. I would ask, how are you attaching wired items on cake corners and edges?

tiggy2 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:52am
post #5 of 6

I've never placed them on corners or edges so I have no idea. I don't know if the covered wire is food safe or not but I don't want it in somehting I'm going to eat.

cownsj Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:18am
post #6 of 6

We've done a couple of these cakes without using wires. We wrap the fondant around a straw, but leave a couple inches unwrapped so it has a straight piece. After letting it dry for a couple days, we hold it close to the end and push the straight part in little by little until it gets to the curly portion. We did put extra BC on the cake to help. I just uploaded photos of it, the 2nd view is a close up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%