Cardstock Templates?

Decorating By ZoesMum Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 2:27pm by ZoesMum

ZoesMum Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 16

Has anyone ever used scrapbooking cardstock shapes/swirls etc. as templates to cut out fondant??? If so, do it work out well?? I'm thinking just an exacto knife to cut around them, but if you have tried something else that works better, please let me know!

15 replies
tiggy2 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 16

Scrapbooking punches work and the cricut machine is the bomb. If you do a search for "cricut" there are several threads on it.

ZoesMum Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 16

I mean the cardboard shapes...swirls, general shapes, I'm envisioning just using them as templates, laying them on top of the fondant and cutting around them...I haven't got the funds for a cricut...didn't for scrapbooking and still don't for cakes icon_wink.gif. Just wondering if anyone had done this...

poohsmomma Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 16

I've done it. I'm more successful with larger shapes and thin fondant.

tiggy2 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 16

You asked if we'd tried something else so I told you, sorry you didn't like my answer.

ZoesMum Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 16

Sorry tiggy2...didn't mean that I didn't like your answer, just wanted to specifically know about the cardstock templates...the asking about something else I meant using something other than an exacto knife to cut around the templates. I appreciate hearing about the punches...I hadn't thought about that...

tiggy2 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 12:18am
post #7 of 16

No problem

jjkarm Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:09am
post #8 of 16

I've done it. I found if you stick the blade of the exacto knife into a little bit of shortening before each cut, the blade will easily slide through the fondant without stretching it or pulling it. HTH thumbs_up.gif

ZoesMum Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:03pm
post #9 of 16

Great tips jjkarm and poohsmama!!! I hope to try this on my next cake then...thanks!

tiggy2 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:17pm
post #10 of 16

A pme cutting wheel makes nicer cuts then a craft knife http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=17375&name=PME%20Cutting%20Wheels

ZoesMum Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 1:09am
post #11 of 16

I think I have one of those in my Wilton tool kit...I'll try it out. Thanks tiggy2...

Renaejrk Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 1:22am
post #12 of 16

I have even printed a silhouette/shape onto cardstock paper, cut it out, then laid it on fondant to cut the shape. I did this with an elvis silhouette and it worked out great! I loved the tip about the shortening though - that was my only problem - the fondant trying to pull and stretch! Thanks!

confectionsofahousewife Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 1:42am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

I have even printed a silhouette/shape onto cardstock paper, cut it out, then laid it on fondant to cut the shape. I did this with an elvis silhouette and it worked out great! I loved the tip about the shortening though - that was my only problem - the fondant trying to pull and stretch! Thanks!

Did you not have trouble with the cardstock sticking to the fondant? I tried to do this once and was able to cut around the template fairly easily but found that my cardstock had stuck to my fondant and tore it when I pulled it up.

ladybug76 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 1:51am
post #14 of 16

I actually use small sheets of foam paper (8 1/2 x 11) to cut out my templates, that way I can save them for future use. In my experiences, I never had a problem with the foam sticking to the fondant, nor would it bend or compromise the shape for reuse... that way I wasn't cutting out the same shape again and again for the next time I needed it!!
~Jaime

tinygoose Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 2:11am
post #15 of 16

I did this one from a template. I printed the logo, then put a layer of contact paper over it. Cut out the stencil, then used it to make the logo with two layer so fondant. It took a while, but I liked the effect.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1466241

ZoesMum Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:27pm
post #16 of 16

I'll have to look for some foam paper...that sounds like a great idea for making my own templates. I do digital scrapbooking too and have a lot of things that would look lovely on a cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%