How Do I Do This?

Decorating By adventuregal Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 9:59pm by Tee-Y

adventuregal Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 19

I saw this cake in one of the galleries-I can't remember the designer but kudos because I LOVE IT! The question I have is for the image on the front-how did you get that perfect image? I'd greatly appreciate the step by step-my friends birthday is this weekend and she would die to have a cake this amazing. Thanks!!!
LL

18 replies
prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 19

Looks like an edible image.

Mensch Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 19

It looks like an edible image on the front.

It also looks like a really easy, straightforward cake.

Very few people have the time or the inclination, when in the middle of creating artwork, to write down every little thing they did and take photos every step of the way, just to provide a 'step-by-step' for others.

prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 19

I'd guess it's a 6" cube, trimmed slightly to give the curved look, with RKT used for the neck and cork.

cylstrial Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 19

You can go to a local bakery (like a Kroger or your mom and pop grocery store that sells cakes) ask them to scan the image that you want. They won't do it if it's copyrighted or anything.

Or you can try your local cake supply store.

SpringFlour Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

Very few people have the time or the inclination, when in the middle of creating artwork, to write down every little thing they did and take photos every step of the way, just to provide a 'step-by-step' for others.

Thank you, Mensch! Off topic, I know, but really, I don't have the time OR deisire to sit and type up step-by-step instructions for cakes. Bravo to those who do, but I get a little frustrated at the "Will you pm me instructions?" I figured I was just being b*tchy for not sending them, but hey, I figured how to do it, I'm sure you can too!

ljdills Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 19

I understand that you may not have time to sit down and do step by step instructions, but this site is for sharing and helping one another. There are people on here that are beginners, some are seasoned veterans and there are those in between. Something that may be elementary to some, is not so much for others. It doesn't take but a few seconds to say I carved this cake from 3 - 8 inch squares, used rkt for the neck and EI for the labels. A little courtesy goes a long way. You never know when you may be on the other side.

ArtieTs Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdills

I understand that you may not have time to sit down and do step by step instructions, but this site is for sharing and helping one another. There are people on here that are beginners, some are seasoned veterans and there are those in between. Something that may be elementary to some, is not so much for others. It doesn't take but a few seconds to say I carved this cake from 3 - 8 inch squares, used rkt for the neck and EI for the labels. A little courtesy goes a long way. You never know when you may be on the other side.

thumbs_up.gif thanks for that I wanted to say something but I wasn't sure how to say it as nicely as you did. I beleive that's why allot of us are CC memebers, for all the help & advise we can count on. Kindness goes a long way I've found & if you don't have time to PM back or reply with step by step instructions so be it. I'm sure we've all aksed for some sort of directions since being on CC. Don't forget where you came from is all I'm saying.

adventuregal Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 11:56pm
post #9 of 19

thanks ljdills and artiets for the back up-what I was looking for was that it is in fact an edible image (since I've never done one I wasn't sure) and maybe a little guidance in how to go about doing that. This is a site for helping eachother and replies of how one doesn't have time or how one doesn't think they should reply is not the most helpful. If anyone can offer advice on edible images while on this thread I would most definitely appreciate that.

KCC Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 12:33am
post #10 of 19

If you can't get an ediable image just use paper and take off before cutting. I would't do this for just anyone, but if you are attending I think it would work. You should be able to go to a website to get a pick of the lable

adventuregal Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:51am
post #11 of 19

thanks for the idea!

Mensch Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:13am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringFlour

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you, Mensch! Off topic, I know, but really, I don't have the time OR deisire to sit and type up step-by-step instructions for cakes. Bravo to those who do, but I get a little frustrated at the "Will you pm me instructions?" I figured I was just being b*tchy for not sending them, but hey, I figured how to do it, I'm sure you can too!

Exactly.

laidbackluvvie Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 11:18am
post #13 of 19

im quite new to cake decorating and without the help and patience of all the lovely people on here im sure i would have given up on something i enjoy, i know a lot of you run buisnesses and are very busy but still make time to help people like me who i am sure must ask you the simplest questions, but we all have to learn and a little help goes a long way, everyone i have pm has been lovely, all i can say is if your not willing to help and be part of this great community why be a member, to everyone else THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Cakechick123 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 12:37pm
post #14 of 19

Everyone on here is very helpfull but maybe the newer members should remember

there is a difference between asking for some help and guidance, and asking for a step-by-step
The 1st is what prterrell gave... some guidance
a step by step is just what it says, a very detailed description that can take hours to sit and type and all while you have to rememebr what you did when icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 12:50pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by riana

there is a difference between asking for some help and guidance, and asking for a step-by-step
The 1st is what prterrell gave... some guidance
a step by step is just what it says, a very detailed description that can take hours to sit and type and all while you have to rememebr what you did when icon_smile.gif

Exactly. I am one who never writes down "the steps" and I probably would never follow "the steps" if I had them. I'm like a lot of folks and look at the cake and just do it. And it's not because I've been doing cakes for years. That's how I learned. "Back in my day" .... icon_biggrin.gif .... we didn't have videos, food network or the internet. I had to look at a photo and figure it out. If you couldn't do that, then you couldn't learn how to do cakes. There were no other options.

I have had a specific question about a specific aspect of a cake or two in the past, and I've PM'd the creator(s) who have always been very helpful in that regard.

Like many on here, I'm more than happy to help with a question on a process. But I have no need for "step by step" directions. That's not how I work, so there is no need for me to write them down. Ever. If I was assigned the job of writing down step by steps, I'd probably have to take a class on how to do that! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

To the OP, as has been mentioned, this cake does look pretty cut-n-dry so it should be a fun project for you! thumbs_up.gif

adventuregal Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 8:47pm
post #16 of 19

LOL this post makes me laugh because it shows how we all have different ideas of what 'step by step' is. I in no way was asking for some one to have sat down for 'hours' to write a detailed paper for me. I was moreso asking for something along these lines:
*yes its edible image
*you can do it on your own with edible paper/printer or
*go to a store who will do it for you
*or you can pipe the design yourself with a thin tip.
etc...
this is my idea of step by step for all the confusion out there. I've done the majority of my cakes without cake centrals forums and by learning on my own, but it is definitely a great tool that I now access regularly as I have an increased number of cakes to do and a decrease in time for mistakes icon_smile.gif To anyone that thinks they have to write for hours-I would try giving out some general lines of direction as they sure do help alot.

Uniqueask Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 9:27pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysierra

I saw this cake in one of the galleries-I can't remember the designer but kudos because I LOVE IT! The question I have is for the image on the front-how did you get that perfect image? I'd greatly appreciate the step by step.

No offense to all who replied about a step by step, about making the cake, but the way I understood it also is that she was asking about a step by step for the label, which I do not see such a big deal, to answer that question. I know sometimes you professionals are busy, that is why I don't come on here to ask questions, much, because some are very nice and woud give a straight forward answer, but some would totally blow you off, and like others we are here to learn and teach if we can,

And by no means, do I mean to offend anyone, or have this thread go off topic, and have anyone getting nasty, I was just stating my opinion.

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 10:13pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysierra

LOL this post makes me laugh because it shows how we all have different ideas of what 'step by step' is.

ohhhhhhhhhh!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif As you can see, when most of us see "step by step", it sounds like someone is wanting "Break two eggs. PUt them in a bowl." type of thing. thumbs_up.gif

Tee-Y Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:59pm
post #19 of 19

Indydebi, you see there's a way you answer questions that even when sassy is still with a great deal of maturity but why is it that some people are so uppity in their answers especially a particular set of people who are on every discussion forum.If you don't like the question however many times its been asked why don't you just ignore it and allow those who are willing to answer it do so.This is a free giving community and we know those who are in charge i.e the administrators, why are some people taking it upon themselves to say what should and should not be asked . If you don't have anything kind or helpful to say why don't you just be quiet!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%