What Kind Of Styrofoam For 3D Elmo Head?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 28 Jan 2010 , 9:42pm by RobzC8kz

Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 5

I may have a large order for a 3D Elmo....What styrofoam ball is better for the head icon_rolleyes.gif ?The white rough kind that is difficult to poke anything into like skewers (Which I will need to do) or the soft green floral foam that is really easy to poke things in to....Or if I can find the really soft styrofoam but it is very hard to find nowadays and doesn't usually come in a ball but here's to hoping... icon_wink.gif

What would you use?

Thanks Laurel thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 5

Actually, I would use RKT. If you're determined to use foam, do NOT use floral foam! It chips and flakes too easily, NOT good for use with food! Use the hard, white foam.

Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 5

Ahhhh.. icon_rolleyes.gif You're right RKT...I should have thought of that but I'm concerned it will be too heavy.Thanks for the tip about the green foam.. thumbs_up.gif

Laurel icon_wink.gif

in2cakes2 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:26am
post #4 of 5

I used rkt for my elmos head and it was fine. Good luck!!

RobzC8kz Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 5

I've made three large 3D Elmo's and used the white styrofoam balls for the heads each time. What I do for skewers and stuff (like the "neck" and whatnot) is I punch a pilot hole into the "naked" styrofoam before I start decorating it. Then once I'm finished, I can insert the skewers/sharpened dowls into the head without much effort!

If you want a more snug "first punch" fit to your holes, use a slightly smaller skewer/dowl then the one you're using for the finish! You'll have to push a tad bit harder to seat it, but it will go in much easier than "virgin" sytrofoam, and still be as snug.

Hope this helps! I've used this techique on my Wow Wow Wubbzy cake, Elmo cakes, etc. Works great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%