Need Black Chocolate Icing/frosting Recipe

Baking By CakeMommy78 Updated 28 Jan 2010 , 8:03pm by linstead

CakeMommy78 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 11

I am going to be making a black Ford F-250 truck cake for my son's upcoming birthday. Does anyone have a recipe for black icing/frosting that sets up nicely and takes good? Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

10 replies
prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 11

Just add black gel food coloring to your favorite icing. Mine is IMBC. You don't need a separate icing recipe for each color.

CakeMommy78 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 11

I've used the black gel coloring before and it seems to alter the taste a bit. Do you have any suggestions to avoid this? Sorry for all the questions, I'm still a bit of a novice at this icon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 11

It does, because of the large quantity you have to add. Which is why it is best to only use black in small amounts. If you want to cover a large area in black, it's best to use gray and then airbrush it black. Don't forget that colors, especially black and red, deepen as time goes by. I never get my icing true black when first mixing it. I am for a dark gray. By the time the cake is delivered, it's black ans black can be! Also, if you have a lot of black icing, all the people who eat the cake are going to be walking around with purplish-black stained lips, teeth, and tongue!

CakeMommy78 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 11

First of all, thank you so much for all of your help! I know that the icing will cause everyone's lips, etc. to turn colors. I would use fondant, but I've never used it before and I'm afraid to use it on his cake without having tested it out before. Maybe I'll make up a batch and try it out prior to the b-day. Any suggestions/tips?

prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 10:17pm
post #6 of 11

Sorry, not on making fondant. I use pre-made (Satin Ice).

Fondant is very easy to use. Remember playing w/ Play-do as a kid? Pretty much the same!

I'm guessing your son's truck is black?

Sagebrush Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:39am
post #7 of 11

If you're using a chocolate recipe, anyways, just use Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder. Here's a couple examples (from the blog of a cake decorator friend of mine... scroll down, as the second one is the most dramatic):

http://cakeideas.blogspot.com/search/label/Hershey%27s%20Special%20Dark%20cocoa

linstead Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:02am
post #8 of 11

My recent discovery to make black BC is to take chocolate canned (yes canned from the grocery store) frosting, add in some powdered sugar to thicken up and then add in small amount of black color. Then let this sit (for at least one day if possible). It doesn't take much black coloring but with the chocolate base it turns completely black. Best part is is tastes like CHOCOLATE - not bitter taste from a lot of black color.

CakeMommy78 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:10pm
post #9 of 11

prterrell - Yes, he wants a black truck, of all colors! I can't wait to play around with fondant later on. My son and I use playdough all the time, so it should be fun!

Sagebrush & linstead - Thank you all so much! I think I'll try both to see which one my son and husband thinks taste better. I'll be sure to let you all know which one I decide to use for the cake!

CakeMommy78 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:13pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by linstead

My recent discovery to make black BC is to take chocolate canned (yes canned from the grocery store) frosting, add in some powdered sugar to thicken up and then add in small amount of black color. Then let this sit (for at least one day if possible). It doesn't take much black coloring but with the chocolate base it turns completely black. Best part is is tastes like CHOCOLATE - not bitter taste from a lot of black color.

Just wondering, about how much powdered sugar did you have to add to the frosting to get the right thickness? Also, I'm assuming you added black gel coloring?

linstead Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 8:03pm
post #11 of 11

Add enough powdered sugar to get consistency you need. For writing and piping lines - the canned icing consistency works great (learned from Norm Davis). For piping stars, add some sugar to make it thicker. And yes I use gel food color. I used to use the Wilton black icing in the tube but this works much better, is far less expensive and taste 1000x better!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%