Lemon Curd As A Filling

Decorating By kjskid Updated 28 Jan 2010 , 7:16pm by jennicita

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 12:31pm
post #31 of 42

I made a cream cheese filling with lemon curd last week to go with my lemon cake and it was very nice, tasted very fresh instead of sickly sweet as it might be with buttercream. I have kept the curd in the fridge. I have a lemon wedding cake to do in March, will it keep until then?

mireillea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mireillea Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 12:34pm
post #32 of 42

I don't understand either.... I use the jars from Chivers. They contain 67 grams of sugar per 100 gram of product and next to that, lemon, and dried eggs. Dried eggs, that couldn't be harmful, right? I mean, you don't have to refrigerate dried albumen as well.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 1:00pm
post #33 of 42

I just posted the link as it was the best official explanation I found...didn't mean to open a can of worms! I think that study was for someone that wanted to sell their lemon curd commercially so they have it analyzed and have to be on the safe side.
The bottom line is that they recommend that it has to be refrigerated after opening.

The same happens with mayonaise for example and who hasn't eaten a potato salad that has been out in the sun for hours!

We've all done it and we are all fine....BUT for all of us that sell cakes we need to be extra careful because of the liability.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 1:03pm
post #34 of 42

Thanks for the link, and jennicito - you got the same thing out of it that I did. thumbs_up.gif

mireillea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mireillea Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 1:37pm
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCakeCrazy

I have kept the curd in the fridge. I have a lemon wedding cake to do in March, will it keep until then?

That seems awfully long to me! I keep my buttercreams and other fillings up to one week in the fridge, in tupperware boxes and with a label describing the day it was produced. After that, I throw it away. No matter how much it is. I never save it any longer.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 1:40pm
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mireillea

I don't understand either.... I use the jars from Chivers. They contain 67 grams of sugar per 100 gram of product and next to that, lemon, and dried eggs. Dried eggs, that couldn't be harmful, right? I mean, you don't have to refrigerate dried albumen as well.

I think we are talking about frsh lemon curd, not the mass produced stuff in a jar.

Mike

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 1:48pm
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurrette

We all must be too young to remember...............

Eggs never use to be refrigerated years ago when they were at the grocery store. They sat out for many days. Yes we have come a long way in learning what is good or bad. I say it can be left out.

A few months ago I learned a few interesting things about this on CC. Eggs are apparently laid with a protective coating which prevents them from spoiling too quickly. You wash the eggs, you wash this coating off and they have to be refrigerated. I assume that eggs used to be unwashed in the US and thus unrefrigerated. Now they're squeaky clean but refrigerated.

I live in Germany and for years kept getting frustrated about the poop and feathers I fairly regularly discovered on my eggs. And I was wondering why they didn't have to be refrigerated. Well, turns out they don't need to be refrigerated because they aren't rinsed.

Jenny

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 1:57pm
post #38 of 42

Eggs are washed, rinsed, sprayed w/ protected coating, pasturized. This helps stop the spread of salmonella. Keeping eggs refridgerated also keeps the grading intact. The longer an egg sets out the faster it will degrade. It's still edible, but the white will be looser, and the yolk won't sit as high.

We have to remember the food we eat today is from a global food chain. The way we used to do it doesn't apply any more.

Mike

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:00pm
post #39 of 42

Vagostino I don't think anyone things you opened a can of worms. I think this is a very informative and helpful discussion. Not to mention a very interesting one. icon_smile.gif

And the curd I am talking about is home made. I do know that it will last about a good week in the fridge, but then will start to loose flavor. I don't think it goes bad in the fridge after a week though.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:11pm
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Eggs are washed, rinsed, sprayed w/ protected coating, pasturized. This helps stop the spread of salmonella. Keeping eggs refridgerated also keeps the grading intact. The longer an egg sets out the faster it will degrade. It's still edible, but the white will be looser, and the yolk won't sit as high.

We have to remember the food we eat today is from a global food chain. The way we used to do it doesn't apply any more.

Mike

We Europeans must be made of hardier stuff than you Yanks icon_wink.gif , our eggs are not subjected to anything you described and are kept in the store at room temperature on shelving - and hey, we're all still alive thumbs_up.gif !

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:13pm
post #41 of 42

Naw, I think we just have too many lawyers. icon_lol.gif

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:16pm
post #42 of 42

How true!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%