Please Please Help Mff

Decorating By mcampbell31 Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 8:44pm by Renaejrk

mcampbell31 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 19

I posted last night about having issues with MFF. Well I finally got it to a consistancy where I can work with it but then I went to add color and it's getting back to that dry state where it breaks easy. I'm just getting so frustrated that I want to CRY!!! Someone please help me.

18 replies
dsilvest Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 19

I had this problem yesterday when I mixed several colours of old fondant together. It became very crumbly. As an experiment I added tylose, kneaded it in and let it sit overnight. Today I warmed it a bit in the microwave, kneaded it and the texture was great. I just covered 5 dummies with it, no problem.

mcampbell31 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

I had this problem yesterday when I mixed several colours of old fondant together. It became very crumbly. As an experiment I added tylose, kneaded it in and let it sit overnight. Today I warmed it a bit in the microwave, kneaded it and the texture was great. I just covered 5 dummies with it, no problem.

Wouldn't the tylose make it hard? I really can't wait another day to get this fondant right. It has to be fixed today.

dsilvest Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 19

I added about 1 tsp to 1 - 1 1/2 lbs of fondant. It hardened a bit. Try less tylose to more fondant. Give it a try, better than throwing it all away. Next time add the colour when ith MMF is in the liquid stage. It usually works better.

Darthburn Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 19

Curious... was it Wilton Black you added? And did you add a lot?

If you are making the entire batch 1 color, mix your color in with the melted marshmallows. If making black, add some cocoa powder in to the melted MM's also, that way it darkens some, then add black. Black needs to sit overnight to darken.

If you're looking to save this batch I'd add a little more melted MM's until you get it workable, then add some shortening. No more PS.

Don't over cook the MM's either, just barley melt them... the hot ones at the bottom of the bowl will melt the rest when you stir them

mcampbell31 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

I added about 1 tsp to 1 - 1 1/2 lbs of fondant. It hardened a bit. Try less tylose to more fondant. Give it a try, better than throwing it all away. Next time add the colour when ith MMF is in the liquid stage. It usually works better.

I'm not working with MMF..i'm working with Michele's Foster.

mcampbell31 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthburn

Curious... was it Wilton Black you added? And did you add a lot?

If you are making the entire batch 1 color, mix your color in with the melted marshmallows. If making black, add some cocoa powder in to the melted MM's also, that way it darkens some, then add black. Black needs to sit overnight to darken.

If you're looking to save this batch I'd add a little more melted MM's until you get it workable, then add some shortening. No more PS.

Don't over cook the MM's either, just barley melt them... the hot ones at the bottom of the bowl will melt the rest when you stir them

No Marshmellows involved here and i'm using AmeriColor. I was trying to make Red. Got the color but the fondant is now soft and breaks very easy.

Darthburn Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 19

I'm sorry, I read it too fast and thought I saw MMF instead of MFF.

Mind you, I have never made MFF, but your fondant sounds extremely dry. I think I'd try mixing a little more corn syrup or milk into it... but that is me and again I have never made it before.

Sorry about that.

greengyrl26 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 19

not to hijack your thread, but I made mmf for the first time this week. How long can it be stored? Does it have to be refrigerated? There's nothing in it except marshmallows, some water, flavoring & sugar. Will it last as long as Satin Ice or Wilton as long as it's in an air-tight container? Thanks to anyone with answers!

dsilvest Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 19

It doesn't matter whether the fondant is MFF or MMF add the colour to the liquid stage.

Darthburn Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:28pm
post #11 of 19

Greengyrl - All the ingredients of MMF are nonparishable. It does not have to be refrigerated. You can freeze it if you want to for quite a long time. You can wrap it in parchment and put it in a ziplock for days. As long as there is no air to get to it, it will last a month or more. Think of it as letting a marshmallow sit out. I don't know how long Satin Ice or Wilton lasts, I've never used them.

icer101 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:46pm
post #12 of 19

in michelle's recipe....she says to add the color ... during the cooking stage or the mixing stage.. hth also ..she says if it is too dry or stiff.. knead in more glycerine.. in small amts. she says to work it into small batches.. then put it all together.. she says adding color after it is made ..is more difficult.. but can be done. if i add color after .. i do that in small batches and then add it all together. and adjust if needed..keep shortening on your hands also..

FullHouse Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:49pm
post #13 of 19

Try adding some glycerine to MFF, mine gets very fragile when I add Americolor red as well.I just pour a bit of glycerine on my hand and work it in, helps trenendously. I do still find red to be fragile but atleast workable.

greengyrl26 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:07pm
post #14 of 19

Thanks Darthburn!
My first batch turned out pretty well (tasted great and was easy to make) but when I roll it out, it just doesn't have a perfectly smooth finish. It has....kind of....like little pockets or indentations or whatever. I really don't know how to explain it. The recipe I used didn't call for popcorn salt & I've seen other that do. I'm wondering if that's what caused it? Dunno...will keep trying because it really does taste better and it certainly is cheaper!

mcampbell31 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:34pm
post #15 of 19

Ok Thanks Everyone. I just came back from the store because I ran out of Glycerine. I only had a lil small bottle so I bought 3 small bottles now so this fondant better get right or this cake will be buttercream..lol

mcampbell31 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:36pm
post #16 of 19

The reason why I didn't add the color in the liquid stage is because i'm not just using one color. If I added color that would require me to make a whole lot of fondant being that i'm using multiple colors and the MFF makes a VERY BIG batch.

Darthburn Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:53pm
post #17 of 19

icon_smile.gif Sounds like you're on the road to recovery campbell. Good Luck

Greenygyrl - I have never used salt in MMF. There are a lot of factors ( I believe) that can contribute to messed up MMF. Please don't take this as a generic or blowing you off answer, but I'm going to post some links to threads where I and other MMF people have helped answer probably most the questions or problems you have had with it. icon_smile.gif Most common one IMO is overcooking MM's. So give them a look through and see what you think.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6694034-.html#6694034

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-648968-.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6690535-.html#6690535

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6690644-.html#6690644

I've seen you in some of these thread so you may have already read through them. I would be more than happy to try and figure it out with you if some of these answers don't work.

mcampbell31 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 8:26pm
post #18 of 19

FOR THE LOVE OF BABY JESUS....I GOT IT!!! AND IT WASN'T THE GLYCERINE!!

I pulled off a small piece from my bach and started kneading it. I said ok this is workable. I need this to be black because i'm making lady bugs. I added my black. Keep crisco on my hands and it just came out beautiful! Soft with stretch and shiny...just the way I like it!! Now that read I was working on with the help of glycerine it's still not great but i'm only using red for ladybugs so I think I can work with that. I'm a happy camper now. Maybe I can get some things done! Thanks everyone!!

Renaejrk Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 8:44pm
post #19 of 19

Adding a little tylose may make it harden quicker, but it helps bond everything together so it doesn't break apart - which may help if you are having to add a lot of color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%