Fondant: Pretty! But Yucky To Eat. Is There An Alternative?

Decorating By tc02 Updated 28 Jan 2010 , 8:11pm by prterrell

tc02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tc02 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 15

I made a cake last weekend for my son's Boy Scout Pinewood Derby, with a model derby car on top. The cake was delicious; but I ate around the MMF, well cause even tho it is nice to look at, IMO it is nasty to eat. I wonder if you guys feel the same way, and is there an alternative? A fondant that is yummy to eat? I saw a reference to white chocolate fondant but couldn't find a recipe...

14 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 15

Me and my family do not like the texture of fondant. I can try a bit of fondant on it's own and like the taste, but I don't like the chewiness of it on a cake.

I made a cake this weekend for my friend's daughter's birthday and used fondant. Everyone ate around it. Some people just don't like it.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 15

I make white chocolate fondat and it is delicious! The receipe that I use is Michelle Foster's Fondant (found on this site). The origional is wonderful as is the chocolate and the white chocolate. Before trying this receipe I didn't like fondant either.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 15

I use Jennifer Dontz's (jennifermi on cc) chocolate fondant recipe on her DVD and it is delicious. It's also very easy to work with. Here's her website if you're interested in her DVDs http://www.jenniferdontz.com/viewproduct.php?itemid=dvd002

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I make white chocolate fondat and it is delicious! The receipe that I use is Michelle Foster's Fondant (found on this site). The origional is wonderful as is the chocolate and the white chocolate. Before trying this receipe I didn't like fondant either.

Ditto, MFF is the best tasting I've had. But I do know for some people it is just a texture issue, not used to having something chewy on their cake.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:46pm
post #6 of 15

i personally think MFF with white chocolate is the *best* tasting fondant EVER! however, with that being said...i *still* will not eat it on a cake. i think its all about the chewy texture, though, mff does seem to *melt* in your mouth more so than others.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Ditto, MFF is the best tasting I've had. But I do know for some people it is just a texture issue, not used to having something chewy on their cake.

Ditto! And if you don't like or want to add white chocolate, try putting almond extract in some time. I don't put vanilla in mine anymore at all, just a tad bit of almond. Yum!

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:18pm
post #8 of 15

I have used Rolled Buttercream and my family liked it but they will not eat fondant.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:19pm
post #9 of 15

i love jennifer dontz recipe also.. it is really delicious.. but i also like mff...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:41pm
post #10 of 15

"nasty to eat" in what way? My son, at first, tasted fondant, and said he didn't like it. WHen questioned further, he said it TASTED ok, but he just didn't like the texture. That's way different from "tastes nasty".

And it may just be personal taste. Some people find white cake to be "nasty". Some people will eat nothing BUT white cake. Personal preference .... personal taste.

tc02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tc02 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:11pm
post #11 of 15

thank you for all of your replies. I did a lot of reading last night (I found another thread on this same topic). Maybe it is a texture thing: a big flap of chewy blecch next to soft, tasty cake. Perhaps I can even get the fondant thinner. I will try the Michele Foster recipes suggested, I ordered JenniferMI's DVD on fondant, and perhaps will try the buttercream fondant, too. (Nanahaley you sound more convincing than the other reviewers below the recipe of the bc fondant). I just want to say thank you one more time to everyone for your input! What a great community this is!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:45pm
post #12 of 15

Rolled BC is very tasty; however it is much harder to work with then fondant and is quite greasy.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 8:08pm
post #13 of 15

Jennifer Dontz's DVD is worth it. It taste really good plus I can roll it really thin (usually 1/16"-1/8").

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 8:09pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Jennifer Dontz's DVD is worth it. It taste really good plus I can roll it really thin (usually 1/16"-1/8").

Thet's the key right there Rylan! I roll to 1/16th too. Makes a world of difference for sharp edges! thumbs_up.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 8:11pm
post #15 of 15

Personally, I like the way fondant tastes, but do not care for the texture. I much prefer the way a good buttercream melts in your mouth. To compensate, I roll it as thin as I can and put it on top of a decent layer of buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%