Help - Need Some Advice!

Decorating By kimberlyanne13 Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 7:37pm by prterrell

kimberlyanne13 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 3

Greetings cake friends,

I agreed to make a wedding cake for a friend - the wedding is this weekend. This is my first (and hopefully last!!) wedding cake, and I'm worried how to transport this thing.

The reception location is about 2 hours away from where I will be making the cake. Ideally I would like to load the cake in my car on Saturday night after I've finished it, drive to my house (which is about 1/2 way). Have it sit in the car overnight, then continue on to the reception. My question; does anyone have experience with this? Will the cake be okay if I travel 1 hour one day, let it sit overnight and then travel another hour the next day? I'm in MN and the weather is extremely cold outside, but my garage holds a temp around 30-40F so the temp should be okay if the car is an acceptable place to keep it overnight.

What about the actual travel - I will have the cake boxed, but has anyone encountered any problems with transporting a cake that far??

Any advice anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated. I'm a nervous wreck. I just want to get this cake set up and get the heck out of that reception hall!!!

2 replies
cherrycakes Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 3

If you take a look in my pictures of my farm cake (almost as big as a wedding cake!) I transported that for two hours in November in the back part of our van. It also stayed in the van for the night and didn't have any problems (although I did use SPS). I also kept the topper (a 4 inch round cake) off until I set up for the party. If you're using dense cake and have it properly dowelled I think you should be fine - just bundle up and keep the heat off in your car icon_smile.gif Good luck!

prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 3

The cake will be fine in the car overnight.

If at all possible, transport the tiers seperately and assemble on site.

If not possible, either use a center dowel all the way through the cake or get the SPS.

Quote by @%username% on %date%