Red Velvet Or Coconut Cake-Need Help

Decorating By iris219 Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 4:08pm by Darthburn

iris219 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 2

Hi, I am making a teapot cake for this Friday and have been reading the forum and everything I've read states that box cake mix are just not the right cake mix for the ball pan. (Because of lack of time thought the box cake mix would be fine)

I wanted to make either red velvet or coconut cake for the teapot and teacups is this not a good idea?

Does anyone know how to make these types of cake box recipes more dense for the cake ball pan?

Am I better off making my cake mix from scratch for the cake ball?

What would be the best filling for the red velvet cake mix?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1 reply
Darthburn Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 2

If you want to make a box mix more dense you can add a package of pudding to it. However, if you are going to do Red Velvet it might be better to do it from scratch. I guess Duncan Hines has red velvet mix, but if you are going to recipe tamper why not just do it scratch. Plus there is nothing like saying "I made the red velvet from scratch." icon_smile.gif

Traditionally Red Velvet goes with cream cheese filling or icing. Just remember that it is parishable and needs to be in the fridge if you make it a day ahead of time. Other than that, I supposed you could use any type you want. Red Velvet has a slight chocolate taste from the cocoa powder in it. You can do buttercream or almond or any other flavor that sounds good.

I have a question to add thought: The other night on Cake Boss Buddy made a Red Velvet cake with cream cheese filling. I was wondering if anyone has covered their red velvet in fondant (I know people do) and if so, how you manage that? Do you fill layers with cream cheese and buttercream for the crumbcoat and under the fondant? The cake MUST be in the fridge because of the cream cheese filling right? Does anyone ever crumbcoat with a cream cheese icing? Cause mine always seems to be thinner than buttercreamno matter how much PS I add.

Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%