How To Make Fondant Not Sticky

Decorating By Katiwren Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 7:55pm by Win

Katiwren Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 7

I posted the other day asking about adding Tylose to Fondant in order to make it more like Gum Paste so I could make some figures for a cake I'm making for my boyfriend's birthday. I made one figure, but had some problems with the stickyness of the fondant (I was using Satin Ice). When I added Tylose powder, it helped a bit, but in order for it to not stick to everything I had to add a bunch which then made the figure dry really fast.

I guess the question is, what do I need to make sure fondant doesn't stick? Do I need special equipment (rolling pin made for fondant, etc?) or do I just need to get some other kind of powder?

Thanks CC members- I'm addicted to this site and love the great community of awesome cake members!

6 replies
pouchet82 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 7

What do you mean by sticky? Is the fondant sticking to your hands when you handle it? Have you added a lot of coloring to it? Have you added anything to the fondant aside from tylose? Maybe try with a little peice of fondant to add some powdered sugar? Just take a handful of fondant sprinkle with a little ps at a time and knead it in.

TexasSugar Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 7

Powder sugar kneeded in if your fondant is very soft and is sticking to everything.

Crisco on your hands if it is sticking to you.

Win Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 7

I don't add Tylose to fondant. I make a mixture of 60/50 gumpaste to fondant for figures. I know; however, that many people do add the Tylose so I'm not in any way slamming that. I never have an issue with this mixture being sticky and it is a great ratio for me. I have time to work with it for details, but it sets up quickly as well so I can move on to the next step in the process.

Either way, if you have a silicone mat and give it a little smear of shortening, it should keep your fondant from sticking while rolling it out, or rolling pieces for modeling. I also use one of the plastic cutting mats that you find in kitchen stores. They make a great work surface as well. I see many people keep a pouncer at their work table. It is a small sack (made from cheese cloth or other porous fabric) filled with corn starch or powdered sugar, it provides a non-stick surface. I keep one of the sugar shakers nearby for that same purpose.
HTH just a bit.
edited to add a link

icer101 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 7

when i make SMALL figures.. i mix WILTON FONDANT AND WILTON G/P 50/50... use a little shortening on my hands.. it never fails me.. you don,t eat them anyway. they dry hard.. don,t use satin ice.. too expensive and much softer than WILTON.. when i make tall figures.. i make pastiallage.. never fails me there either. hth

Katiwren Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 7

I only used the tylose with fondant because I don't have a store near me and his birthday is so close that it would take too long to order the gum paste. Thanks for the advice- I'll definitely buy those things y'all suggested next time I'm near my favorite cake store!

Win Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 7

Katiwren, if you have a hobby store near you, (Michaels, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn Fabrics, etc. you can find the Wilton gumpaste there. Like icer101, it's what I use all the time. I just mix mine a tad heavier on the side of gumpaste. Look for the premade/ready-to-use in the plastic bag:

Often, you will find a 40% off coupon available for use as well. I hope you have one of those stores close by.

Good luck, happy caking, and welcome to Cake Central!

Quote by @%username% on %date%