How To Make Fondant Not Sticky

Decorating By Katiwren Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 7:55pm by Win

Katiwren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiwren Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 7

I posted the other day asking about adding Tylose to Fondant in order to make it more like Gum Paste so I could make some figures for a cake I'm making for my boyfriend's birthday. I made one figure, but had some problems with the stickyness of the fondant (I was using Satin Ice). When I added Tylose powder, it helped a bit, but in order for it to not stick to everything I had to add a bunch which then made the figure dry really fast.

I guess the question is, what do I need to make sure fondant doesn't stick? Do I need special equipment (rolling pin made for fondant, etc?) or do I just need to get some other kind of powder?

Thanks CC members- I'm addicted to this site and love the great community of awesome cake members!

6 replies
pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 7

What do you mean by sticky? Is the fondant sticking to your hands when you handle it? Have you added a lot of coloring to it? Have you added anything to the fondant aside from tylose? Maybe try with a little peice of fondant to add some powdered sugar? Just take a handful of fondant sprinkle with a little ps at a time and knead it in.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 7

Powder sugar kneeded in if your fondant is very soft and is sticking to everything.

Crisco on your hands if it is sticking to you.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 7

I don't add Tylose to fondant. I make a mixture of 60/50 gumpaste to fondant for figures. I know; however, that many people do add the Tylose so I'm not in any way slamming that. I never have an issue with this mixture being sticky and it is a great ratio for me. I have time to work with it for details, but it sets up quickly as well so I can move on to the next step in the process.

Either way, if you have a silicone mat and give it a little smear of shortening, it should keep your fondant from sticking while rolling it out, or rolling pieces for modeling. I also use one of the plastic cutting mats that you find in kitchen stores. They make a great work surface as well. I see many people keep a pouncer at their work table. It is a small sack (made from cheese cloth or other porous fabric) filled with corn starch or powdered sugar, it provides a non-stick surface. I keep one of the sugar shakers nearby for that same purpose.
http://www.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=357379&cm_mmc=GoogleShopping-_-6-_-77-_-MP677

http://www.bettycrockerstore.com/p-119545-2740%202692%204294967212-Knives-Cutting-Boards_Progressive-Flexible-Chopping-Mats-Multi-Colored-115x15.aspx
HTH just a bit.
edited to add a link

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 7

when i make SMALL figures.. i mix WILTON FONDANT AND WILTON G/P 50/50... use a little shortening on my hands.. it never fails me.. you don,t eat them anyway. they dry hard.. don,t use satin ice.. too expensive and much softer than WILTON.. when i make tall figures.. i make pastiallage.. never fails me there either. hth

Katiwren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiwren Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 7

I only used the tylose with fondant because I don't have a store near me and his birthday is so close that it would take too long to order the gum paste. Thanks for the advice- I'll definitely buy those things y'all suggested next time I'm near my favorite cake store!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 7

Katiwren, if you have a hobby store near you, (Michaels, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn Fabrics, etc. you can find the Wilton gumpaste there. Like icer101, it's what I use all the time. I just mix mine a tad heavier on the side of gumpaste. Look for the premade/ready-to-use in the plastic bag:
[url]
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=1091E8A6-423B-522D-F5E738B4AF659451&killnav=1
[/url]

Often, you will find a 40% off coupon available for use as well. I hope you have one of those stores close by.

Good luck, happy caking, and welcome to Cake Central!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%