What Am I Doing Wrong??

Decorating By sugar-2 Updated 28 Jan 2010 , 2:59am by sugar-2

sugar-2 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 7

I;m finding that when i use the standard wilton crusting buttercream, i can get a nice smooth finish, but after awhile, the crusting BC seems to leave little cracks on my nicely smooth finish....see attached picture. Any tips on how to avoid this from happening in the future? I do use a 1/4" thick board. Thanks

6 replies
sugar-2 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 7

can't seem to post the picture, minnie mouse one in my photos

2SchnauzerLady Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 7

I had the same problem. The reformulation of shortening to eliminate transfats is the culprit. I switched over to Indydebi's buttercream in the recipe section here and use the store brand shortening which has transfats. That eliminated the cracks, plus it tastes much better. Others will come along and give you other brands that work. I now use Sugarshack's BC on this site with the store brand shortening and have no problems at all.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 7

BTW - cute cake!!

TexasSugar Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 7

Another thought is that your board under the cake may not be strong enough. If the cracks appear after you move the cake, it is the board under the cake flexing.

Cakeonista Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 7

A Tlbs of white vinegar really helps with bc that dries and cracks. Doesn't leave a taste at all and helps from cracking. Worth a try if you like the way the bc smooths because I know that is hard enough o achieve,

sugar-2 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:59am
post #7 of 7

thanks everyone, i will try the vinegar tipicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%