**new Cricut Cake Machine** I Want To Know Y'alls Opinions!

Decorating By pezadoodle Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 9:55pm by tiggy2

pezadoodle Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 8

hi everyone!
i m papercrafter and cricut fanatic who loves to dabble in cake decorating. i am heavily involved in my cricut machine for papercrafts and spent alot of time with the folks from cricut this weekend when they announced their newest machine the Cricut Cake. i am here hoping to gther opinions from the cake folks on this new machine because of course the papercrafters are all jealous now and don't get it so it has been met with some negativity. i however do both and am thrillied. i was even more thrilled when they GAVE us all one at their private release party!!

the majority of the papercrafters have a few thoughts and i just want to check with those of you who KNOW so i am really hoping some of you will take some time to share with me your thoughts on the following:

1. will cake decorators spend money on this? the machine is set to intro at $399. i feel QUITE sure this price will drop just like it always once a new machine is out for a bit.

2. do decorators feel that this style of cake decorating will be too impersonal as the designs will not be cut/molded by hand?

3. Is this something you would consider using for clients who purchase cakes from you???

and finally if you want to see some funny antics of us cricut crazed paper folks at dinner with jim colby, VP of product development at provocraft be sure to check my blog: pezadoodle.wordpress.com - he was WONDERFULLY brave to have dinner with 25 crazy women!!!

i have owned a cricut for several years and can tell you it is an amazing machine. i watched the demos at CHA and the gumpaste cuts beautifully. i even tasted the one cricut will be marketing and i thought it actually tasted good - kids will eat it up FOR SURE!!!

thanks for you time!!!
Marti {pezadoodle}

7 replies
chefjulie Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 8

If you search the boards, there are like 5 or 6 discussions on this very topic! You should be able to find all the information you're looking for icon_smile.gif

greengyrl26 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 8

Yes, and many of us have been using our Cricuts for cakes for a while now. I see no need to buy the new Cake Cricut, when my Expression works just fine and is only used for cake anyway. I will probably buy the new mat & blade, but that's it. icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 8

Not at 399
If they are at all interested in making it affordable. Allow us the pleasure of using a Michaels coupon.
Mike

Auntie_RaRa Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 8

I already have the Expression, so I probably get the mat and blade. Well, see if and how long it takes for the price to drop.

jenmat Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 8

Like Auntie RaRa, I bought my Expression and will stick with that. But I will look into the mat and blade, as well as the cartridges. 399 is insanely high for me, but like you said, it will probably come down. I have only used my expression for a few projects, but am definitely getting the hang of it now.
I don't think its too impersonal really. I would't use it for everyday decorating though. I'll be using it for the big projects- Weddings, bridal showers, etc to achieve a flawless look.
Have fun looking through all the Cricut links around here- it can make your head spin!

obabassa Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 8

I have the Cricut Expression, the deep cutting blade and Linda McClures video. Works wonderfully. I see not need to pay more for a new machine when this works very well for me.

tiggy2 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by obabassa

I have the Cricut Expression, the deep cutting blade and Linda McClures video. Works wonderfully. I see not need to pay more for a new machine when this works very well for me.

Ditto; however I will purchase the cutting mats, cartridges, markers (if they come out with them in edible ink), blade and blade housing, etc. I just purchased the cricut expression so I wont be replacing it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%