Help! How Can I Fix This?

Decorating By kathik Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 4:45pm by mireillea

kathik Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a shofar (special horn) for the top of a cake. I wanted it to be edible so I made it out of Rice Krispie Treats. It set up really well, but there was one part that was a little weak. I covered it in setting ganache, which I thought would strengthen it. It still needs to be covered in fondant, however when I removed the support it broke at the weak point. icon_cry.gif How can I fix this so it can be completed?

The first photo is what it should look like, and the second is my broken shofar. Any advice would be welcome!!!!

Thanks,
Kathi
LL
LL

10 replies
2SchnauzerLady Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 11

There has to be a way to glue it together - did you try the ganache and use toothpicks to hold it together? I know you said you want all edible - but sometimes.......... Good Luck!

love2makecakes Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 11

Do you have time to remake it using gum paste? If you did you could just paint it the color you want. I would be much stronger when dried than the krispie treats. Also it would be a lot lighter on the cake.

If not, you may just need to use a toothpick or something. You could try to use melted chocolate to get it back together again too.

kathik Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 11

I went back to try the toothpicks, but it was already broken in 2 more spots. I don't have enough gumpaste to remake it right now, but I could go to the store later. Will it be lighter even though it would be a solid shape? I thought it would be heavier than RKT.

Thanks,
Kathi

chefjulie Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 11

RKT are really pretty heavy once you compress them! I think I'd go with gumpaste too.

love2makecakes Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:33pm
post #6 of 11

well i guess it would depend on how thick you make it. Looks to me if you matched the shape in the picture you could make it a lot thinner than your first try was.

Gum paste gets lighter as it dries.

kathik Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you! I'll run out later this morning and get some gumpaste.

Kathi

Lcubed82 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:42pm
post #8 of 11

On Cake Boss last night (recorded episode), they did a solar system in RKT. They covered everything in Royal Icing first before decorating. He said this made the RKT rock hard. I seem to recall he just smeared it all over with his hands.

all4cake Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:09pm
post #9 of 11

slopokesgirl mixed rkt with chocolate clay for a strong medium

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-623004-pepe.html

Is that an option?

Darthburn Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:19pm
post #10 of 11

CakeMommyTX suggested this to me the other day when I asked how to sturdy RKT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

After the MM are melted I mix in some grated almond bark (or white chocolate), stir until it's melted and add rice crispies.
You have to work somewhat quickly,because the almond bark will harden fast.
But I do that when I need the RKT to harden quickly and hold it's shape.
I also coat them with melted bark as well, it smooths out the bumps.
HTH.

And this from ibmoser:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmoser

This is a long thread, but please read slopokesgirl's saga on mixing RKT and candy clay.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=623004&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

I just tried this combo, and it is amazing! It is lighter than clay, molds and shapes beautifully, smooths out like a dream and holds its shape. I did crush my cereal before making the RKT to make it smoother and did not use butter in the RKT. The mixture firmed up within an hour, and the heat of your hands will allow reshaping almost immediately. Good stuff! I'm sure that adding the chopped candy melts to the RKT will give a firmer result, but the pliability of the candy clay is possibly better.

If you don't have time to redo it, glue it with royal icing and recover it in ganache, them cover with fondant, you might get away with it.

Good Luck!

mireillea Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:45pm
post #11 of 11

Can't you stick a wooden dowel in it, or a plastic pin? I sometimes use Chinese chopsticks to strengthen fragile parts (like bird legs). After that, it is a matter of finishing, but it sure won't break anymore.
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%