How Do You Fondant An Angelfood Cake?

Decorating By Flakycake Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 7:48am by waywordz

Flakycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flakycake Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:59am
post #1 of 6

So how do you put fondant on an angelfood cake? I've wondered but can't seem to come up with a solution on that problem, any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks!

5 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 11:16am
post #2 of 6

Using ganache first so it sets up to a firm shell to help support the weight of the fondant (which I would roll as thinly as possible), might work?

Flakycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flakycake Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 11:36am
post #3 of 6

Was asking because of the hole in the middle, what do I do about that?

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:43pm
post #4 of 6

I had a three tier angel food wedding cake this past summer. First and last time! I made the angel food in the round pans I would normally use because I didn't want the hole. The cake baked just fine with no hole but angel food cake really sticks to the pan so the sides were really choppy. It took me ages to crumb coat it and fill in the patchy bits.

Angel food is really soft so I just covered mine with a buttercream finish, decorated with cornelli lace. The weight of the fondant would definitely have caused it to collapse so I honestly do not know how you would address this one. I wouldn't even attempt it.

My bride wanted a blueberry compote in a circle at the top of the cake (no topper - just blueberries). I didn't want it to sink into the light angel food cake so I cut a little circle of cardboard. After I crumb coated, I placed the circle of cardboard on the top cake, then covered it with the buttercream so it was hidden. This could probably work well to cover the hole if you are using angel food cake pans.

The angel food cake was really "jiggly" to work with and it took so much time to get the cakes decorated and to get the tiers looking straight.

This type of cake is on my "no way, never again" list!!! icon_twisted.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 6

You don't. Sponge type cakes (including angel food and chiffon) cannot hold up to the weight of fondant.

waywordz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waywordz Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 7:48am
post #6 of 6

Would thin dowel rods inserted into the cake all the way around say every 3 or 4 inches support a chocolate ring that could be molded from the angel food cake pan and placed on top of cake? I can see it in my head but, I've never tried anything like it. I don't see how you could do more than a single layer, though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%