Packaging Cupcakes

Baking By luv2c_cultures Updated 31 Jan 2010 , 12:45am by luv2c_cultures

luv2c_cultures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2c_cultures Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:28am
post #1 of 10

Does anyone have any ideas on how to package cupcakes without spending too much money? I am hoping to do fundraising event by selling cupcakes as either singles, 1/2 dozen or a dozen, but I would hate that a lot of the money would go to "waste" on expensive packaging. Anyone have any ideas?

Would I be able to make a box by using the cricut? I haven't been able to use it much so I don't know what size I would cut it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

9 replies
keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:38am
post #2 of 10

Maybe you could go to your local grocery store or bakery and they might be willing to give you some or sell you some cupcake packages for really cheap.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:06am
post #3 of 10

You could try www.brpboxshop.com or www.plasticcontainercity.com. They both sell cupcake boxes (containers). I order from them all the time and they both are great.

I think that at plastic container city you can purchase the exact amount you need. I think the cupcake holders are around 50 cents a piece. At BRP box shop the holders come in denominations of 100 boxes.

HTH and good luck icon_smile.gif

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:16am
post #4 of 10

I did something similar once and got sundae containers with lids at GFS. They were just the right height and size to hold a cupcake. They didn't look particularly gorgeous but they were cheap and worked well.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:50am
post #5 of 10

For individual cuppies, as long as they're just deco'd with a swirl or the deco's not higher than a standard swirl, you can put them in the short fat plastic cups with a domed lid.

Also, CKSA has clear shell packaging for cupcakes, including singles for decent prices.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=538&SubCatId=1613

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:57am
post #6 of 10

For a bake sale last year, I made some boxes out of shirt boxes and clear packing tape. I put 6 cupcakes in, then inserted the box into a large plastic baggie, the kind that need ties to close. I'm sure you could easily do this with your cricut. Make sure to make the box taller than the cupcake/s so the icing doesn't stick to the bag. You could also wrap it up with cellophane, as you would for a gift basket, though I would waste the money on cellophane for a bake sale.

For the last bake sale I did, I got clear plastic cups with flat lids from the restaurant supply. I put the cupcake on the lid, then used the cup as the cover. Worked out really well, they were cute, and able to stack nicely on the table, making a nice display. It also worked out well because it kept the gluten free cupcakes protected from contamination.
I found the idea on this thread. I was able to find shorter cups at the restaurant supply.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-639635-cupcake.html+lid

It cost me 11 cents to pack each cupcake this way. A bit much, yes, but it was super easy for me. I also made sure that my cupcakes were priced higher than the rest (I made a price sign for them and delivered with the cupcakes.) Even though they were more expensive, they sold out first. I'm sure it was because of the packaging (and maybe the pretty frosting swirl too!)

luv2c_cultures Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 1:52am
post #7 of 10

Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate your help! icon_smile.gif

I love the idea of putting them in a lided cup. What a great idea! And the shirt box idea is great too! icon_smile.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:31am
post #8 of 10

I've used the half pint Ball jars to make cupcakes in a jar. You can't have a big tall swirl of icing because of the lid (you could if you use the pint jar) but they're still delicious and they're a quick and easy packaging solution...and they work great if you're shipping them!

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 10

I buy boxes of 100 clear corsage bags from the floral supply house. I use the 3" white or gold cardboard cake circles and set them down inside the bag and center them over the seam on the bottom of the bag. You let the frosting crust over on the cupcake and set it down in the bag on the cake circle. Gather the top of the bag and tie with a ribbon. These work really well when you have a cupcake with a high frosting or decoration on top. I can always find a clear container to set the cupcake in but most times the frosting is too high for the cover to fit. Put the cupcake in the clear base and set it down in the bag and tie up the top with a ribbon.
I could not get along without the 3 sizes of corsage bags that our florist supply house has. I use the big ones for cookie bouquets and lots of other things that need nice packaging. They are less than 5 cents each if you get them at a supply house. Hope this helps.

luv2c_cultures Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 12:45am
post #10 of 10

Those are great ideas! Thank you everyone! Now I just have to go in search for those supplies where I live...which may be a challenge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%