Vegas Vow Renewal

Lounge By jonahsmom Updated 28 Jan 2010 , 9:57pm by catlharper

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:57am
post #1 of 28

Okay, so some of you know a little of my history....breast cancer twice in the last 3 years and an autistic 6 year old.

My hubby and I are still going strong amidst all this that might break some people apart. So, we're celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary this year and we want to renew our vows. We're going to be in Vegas in October and decided it would be the perfect time to do it. We will be with friends that didn't even know us back then and so it will be amazing to be able to share this with them.

That said, we really don't want to get a Vegas "package" wedding. One of our friends is going to "officiate" - he knows us better than any Vegas officiant does, and we're going to also write our own vows. Since we don't want to have it in one of the chapels, we're kind of lost as to where it could take place. DH said we should just be impulsive. We're going to be there a full day before so he thinks we can scout out a place and just tell our friends where to meet us. That's all fine, but I'm a PLANNER! Do any of you have any ideas? Anybody done a vow renewal completely on their own?

Plus, I really want to make a small cake to take with us, but I need to check with the airline first. DH doesn't want me to bother. He said to just make cake truffles or something. He doesn't think taking a cake on the plane is the best plan. Any ideas about that?

Thanks!

27 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:11am
post #2 of 28

First, Congratulations. Second, some of the casions have beautifulchapels. Not what you think for Vegas. Last, there is a lot of beautiful surrounding dessert sites and the dam. Have fun!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:34am
post #3 of 28

Oh that's awesome!

You should PM Rylan, he lives in Vegas and is so kind-hearted. He'll know the perfect place and he'll probably make you one of his gorgeous cakes too!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:37am
post #4 of 28

Red Rocks is a gorgeous place to get married in October. A gorgeous back drop about 20mins out of town. However, if you are looking closer to town I would love to recommend where my daughter got married: http://www.lakesideweddings.com/

Totally beautiful with great packages. And yes, I do believe your friend could officiate since this is a remarriage, not a first marriage. And it doesn't feel like a chapel or anything. Take a look at the photos..it's even more beautiful.

Congrats! We just renewed our vows in November at a beautiful museum in Monterey!

As for the cake, I do not believe the airlines will allow a cake on board. My daughter is a caker as well and had to settle with presenting her design to the chef at the MGM (where they had a buffet reception) and having them make it for them.

Good luck!

Cat

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:52am
post #5 of 28

Congratulations!!! ... While I am a planner, too, you may want to decide when you get out there. (Gotta see where your heart pulls ya, you know? JMHO. icon_wink.gif ) I suggest that you guys drive around and check out some of the views in Vegas and see what you both like. With reference to attractions, the Stratosphere has amazing 360 degree views. But you might prefer to be by the gondolas at the Venetian. The entrance Caesers Palace is gorgeous, too, as is the water display in front of the Bellagio. Beautiful art in the Bellagio, too, by the way! thumbs_up.gif Mandalay Bay is classy. The desert is breathtaking. Fremont Street area has great appeal as well. I'm not sure, though, if any of the hotels have restrictions on ceremonies outside of what they offer at their facilities, so you MIGHT want to check. ... I could go on & on. (Oh, I so love Vegas!... And I'm not a gambler!) But go on line & see what you might like! Have fun & best wishes to you both!!! icon_smile.gif

jonahsmom Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:17am
post #6 of 28

This will be our first time going to Vegas so we have NOOOOO idea what is there! It sounds like DH might be right - we might just have to see where our hearts lead us. I mentioned the desert (which I thought sounded awesome) and he was like noooooo wayyyy!!!! But we'll have to see. Maybe he'll change his mind. I just definitely want it to be outside (unless it's raining!). I just think that would be gorgeous and I am soooo excited!

Rylan's cakes are G.O.R.G.E.O.U.S!!!! And he is a totally nice guy! Definitely gonna pm him!!!! I bet he'll know a beautiful place!
Thanks all!

(And is it just me? I'm not getting any notifications about responses to my thread. Weird.)

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:25am
post #7 of 28

Yeah, lots of great places in Vegas. I think as the PP stated you might want to check out Red Rock Canyon, it is one of the beautiful places I have ever seen. Totally breathtaking. Even if you don't do the vows there you guys should at least go take the scenic drive around Red Rock Canyon. It's about a 8 mile loop with scenic stop offs. There are wild burro wandering around. I wish you the best!!!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:35am
post #8 of 28

Jonahsmom, I just replied to your PM.

I didn't know it was your first time here. If there are attractions you would like to check out, let me know and I will tell you all.

And Deb you are right, I'd love to offer to make the cake.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:35pm
post #9 of 28

I was going to ditto getting ahold of Rylan, but it looks like he is already on it! I would say you are in great hands with his help!

jonahsmom Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:12pm
post #10 of 28

Got your PM Rylan and just sent you a reply! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks all for the replies. It sounds like everyone thinks Red Rock is the most beautiful. I'm going to have to fight myself getting online all day at work to look at everything!!!!!

I am really soooo excited...it's all I can think about (except my niece's baby shower!) and it's not until October! I'm such a crazy person. icon_lol.gif What's funnier, our friend who didn't even know us back then (who will be "officiating") is just as excited as me!

So excited!!!!!! I married such a great guy!!!!

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:57pm
post #11 of 28

If you don't already have a date set, consider doing it October 10th for your 10th....10/10/10! and of course make it a 10 am ceremony!

Deb_ Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 8:15pm
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Jonahsmom, I just replied to your PM.

I didn't know it was your first time here. If there are attractions you would like to check out, let me know and I will tell you all.

And Deb you are right, I'd love to offer to make the cake.

I knew you would....you rock Rylan! icon_biggrin.gif

jonahsmom Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 8:28pm
post #13 of 28

Rylan is definitely the awesome-est!!!! Yep, he earned a made up word!! icon_smile.gif

I feel guilty about accepting a free cake, but who could POSSIBLY say no to one of Rylan's gorgeous cakes!!!!!

Can't wait to meet him either! I'm equally as excited about that!!!

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 10:21pm
post #14 of 28

What about in front of the Bellagio? The fountains there are beautiful and you will have plenty of "friends" to look on and cheer!

Rylan you are amazing!

Deb_ Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:18am
post #15 of 28

I think we should use this opportunity to have a "Cake Central meet and greet in Las Vegas BABY"

Wouldn't that be a blast? I'd love to go to Vegas and meet all of you guys! icon_biggrin.gif

I mean they'll be enough cake for all of us icon_wink.gif

jonahsmom Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:44am
post #16 of 28

That would be AWESOME!!!!!! I'd love that!

Truthfully, the initial reason we were going to Vegas was because there's something called "Mindvention" that DH wants to go to because all of his mentalism buddies want us to go. I had been wanting to do something special for our 10 yr anniversary, so the timing was right. And with everything we've gone through, we really felt like we deserved it!

When I suggested renewing our vows in Vegas he was like, "well, duh! ruin everything why don't you" - meaning that he had already been thinking of that and he wanted to be the one to make it happen!!! icon_smile.gif
So there really will be just a few of us (MAYBE a dozen or so) for the renewal. So.....

We're going to be there Oct 16th - 19th. What day we do our renewal is kind of up in the air right now - we're hoping Saturday, but not absolutely sure.

I would LOVE to meet my fellow cake buddies and celebrate how awesome my marriage is and how lucky I am!!!! Is that selfish?! icon_smile.gif

We're not really sure at this point if we're going to decide on the when and where until we get there and scout it out, or if we're going to break down and rent a place, or what! DH is really leaning toward renewing our vows out in front of the Bellagio fountains. Right out for the whole world to see - I think that's a pretty sweet thought. I'm still thinking about Red Rock and the other areas that have been suggested to me. At that point it is more about getting out there (and getting all our friends out there!) I think any of those areas would be amazing. I mentioned the Stratosphere or the Eiffel Tower, but as of right now he refuses to go up high in the sky...he's a big ol' chicken!!! Me, too, honestly! And Rylan also mentioned the gondola ride....I have lots of research to do! I feel like I'm planning my wedding all over again!!!

Jeepers I'm talkative... icon_redface.gif

Deb_ Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:50am
post #17 of 28

Your husband sounds as awesome as you! I'm so happy for you guys, you both deserve it thumbs_up.gif

jonahsmom Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:58am
post #18 of 28

Ah, shucks, Deb! I'm jest a reg'lar gal from Ioway! icon_biggrin.gif

My hubby is ABSOLUTELY awesome!!!! I've talked to other young women who had boyfriends, husbands run away screaming when they went through breast cancer because they couldn't handle all the changes. And add in the fact that so many with autistic kids end up divorced...I am really lucky to have landed one really great guy who sticks with me through EVERYTHING!

It doesn't hurt that he does my cake dishes!!!! icon_lol.gif

Deb_ Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:08am
post #19 of 28

I'm sure he feels the same way, he's lucky to have landed you!

I'm blessed too to have a great husband. On our 25th Anniversary we renewed our vows on a Bermuda Cruise....the Captain officiated.

It was so romantic. My DH had arranged the whole thing without me knowing. I just thought we were going on the cruise, I had no idea we were renewing our vows.

We're lucky girls!

jonahsmom Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:11am
post #20 of 28

Lucky girls indeed!!!! Congrats on landing one of the good ones!!!

ladyellam Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:01am
post #21 of 28

I am so very happy for you! The reason I mentioned the fountains at Bellagio is that my son, who is a 5 year old with Autism, loved the fountains. He actually waited and waited quietly for the fountains to go off. It truly is a beautiful sight and they have a little spot that would be perfect to have a ceremony.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful ceremony and tons more blessed anniversaries!

jonahsmom Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:15am
post #22 of 28

Thank you ladyellam! And so far, the fountains are winning. I love what capture's my son's attention, too. I bet your little guy is amazing! I know mine sure is! Amazes me with something new every day.

ladyellam Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:26am
post #23 of 28

He truly is amazing and loves water! It calms him down and lets him focus. They make the fountains go off with whatever kind of music is playing. He loves opera, so when that is playing with the fountains going off the look on his face is priceless!

I just wish we didn't have so many members of the Autism club. It's a challenge but I am so amazed by you! I really am in awe. I hope your renewal is just awesome and more!

jonahsmom Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:30am
post #24 of 28

I agree. There are way too many members in our club. I can just imagine your little guy listening to opera while watching the fountains. It sounds like a beautiful experience to share with him.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:34am
post #25 of 28

The fountains are lovely but the only downside (unless you can find the site PP is talking about ) is that they are right there actually on the strip with thousands of people walking by vying for good placement to see the fountain show. It's not like out of the way at all. The bus stops right there at the fountains for crowds getting on and off. The only thing that separates the fountain lake from the street is a sidewalk. I'm just saying that if want something without horns blowing and other tourists bumping into you and walking in front, unless you can find the spot PP spoke of, this might be problem. I guess it also depends on the time of year you are there. I'm sure you'll get there and can check out everything and will find the perfect place. OH and when the fountains are playing they have speakers everywhere blasting vegas music, like Viva Las Vegas, etc. I love it but not sure about trying to say my wedding vows and competing with Elvis or Frank..lol.. I LOVE Vegas! But it wasn't at all like I thought it would look. Better in some ways but definitely not how I thought it would look.

ladyellam Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:03am
post #26 of 28

Usually in the mornings, the music is quite calm and there aren't a lot of people. And yes the spot I mentioned is right in front of the strip. I think it would be great to have a bunch of people there. When I got married in Vegas 13 years ago (in October), we were walking through the hotel and everybody wished us well. The limo didn't have air conditioning and it was 105 outside and by the time we got to the chapel we were sweating like farm animals! I wouldn't have changed anything about my day.

If you are looking for something more spiritual or elegant then yes I would go somewhere else. I only suggested the fountains because of her son. I can't take my son to quiet restaurants or places because of the sounds that he makes. I don't know her son's limitations or what part of the spectrum he is on.

Whatever or wherever you decide, it will be perfect! and God willing, it won't be hot!

jonahsmom Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:03pm
post #27 of 28

We did an elegant church wedding the first time around, so we're not really looking for that this time. I was thinking more along the lines of pretty scenery for any pictures we want to take/have taken. And to share with whomever is listening how disgustingly happy we are!!!!!! (For the most part...it's not ALL puppies and kittens!)

Jonah, unfortunately, won't be able to go with us. Since school will already be started we can't pull him out and disrupt his routine. He is EXTREMELY routine driven and messing up his "schedule" causes more behavior issues and more stimming. He's in a mainstream classroom right now and keeping up with his peers academically but his behavior is still an issue. Since it will be early on in the year we don't want to disrupt that and we want to get him started on a good foot. My mom is willing to stay with him at our house in order to make his daily routine much easier.

Plus, big crowds are an issue for him. He's done okay in the past, but he has a tendency to bolt when he is far too overstimulated and I don't want to test that in Vegas very much!!!!!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 9:57pm
post #28 of 28

I'm SO excited for you! As a recent "bride" I can say I wholeheartedly support vow renewal..and, yes, it's like planning your wedding all over again! Ours was just magical...and we did it up right...venue, DJ, photographer, cake and champagne..the whole bit...right down to the white dress my wonderful dh said I needed to be wearing! SO romantic! We even did a honeymoon in a wonderful B&B on the Pacific Grove coastline overlooking Lover's Point. Yes, I HIGHLY support vow renewal! LOL!

As for the Bellagio...stay off the strip...there are walkways going into a doorway and one going up a slop to the hotel that would be perfect. Someone made a point that if you have it at ten AM it would hardly have anyone around at all. The side of the fountains near the doorway (if you are facing the fountains on the strip the doorway is on your right) would have the Eiffel Tower in the background (we had photos taken there<G>icon_wink.gif so that would be a great backdrop for your "wedding" photos!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%