Your First Wedding Cake.

Business By Annso Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 2:08pm by minicuppie

Annso Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:29am
post #1 of 9

Greetings ladies and gents. I'm a newbie in the buisness and I was just wondering how long after starting your buisness did you get your first wedding cake order? Did you have advertise your wedding cakes separately from your other cakes?

thanks

8 replies
CakeForte Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:32am
post #2 of 9

If you want the wedding market, you need to target that market. My birthday and party cakes are completely separate from wedding marketing.

KawaiiCakeCook Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:41am
post #3 of 9

My first wedding cake was a gift to a young enlisted couple, and was one step short of a disaster. But it turned out well. I prefer grooms cake personally

leah_s Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:46am
post #4 of 9

I pretty much only do wedding cakes. So, I started right away.

tinygoose Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:47am
post #5 of 9

My first wedding cake was a gift to friends. From that gift I got an order for another one. I would start with friends, then once you are comfortable move onto bridal shows, venues, etc.

Here it is...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1267885

Annso Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:58am
post #6 of 9

That is a very beautiful first time cake. I really would like to target the wedding market I was thinking of decorating some fake ones for my porfolio but i can't seem to get any dummies. The tricky part is I live in the caribbean so i"ll have to order them which is another expense on my pocket.

cpastrychef Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 11:44am
post #7 of 9

I also was asked by a friend to make her wedding cake. I was so nervous I sat on the tray of buttercream flowers that I had made ahead of time and frozen. Word of mouth after that.

sweetartbakery Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:15pm
post #8 of 9

I'm in the US, in PA and I have to order EVERYTHING. No good supplier around me (unless someone would like to tell of one that I don't know about!!).

My first cake was a wedding cake. My brother wanted to save money on his wedding, so I offered to give it a try. I had never liked baking, but I like to think that I am creative. I read forums on here and just did it. no $ of course. I like it though, so then I did cool birthday cakes for my kids. other parents saw them and BANG I was getting order. Went official about 6 months later. I'm in the process of scaling to a commercial kitchen now.... I also market for wedding separately!

minicuppie Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:08pm
post #9 of 9

Bake real cakes if it costs less, esp if you are working on skills. Styrofoam is a lot easier to work with so you don't get any last minute uh-oh's that are so educational.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%