Homemade Black Marshmallw Fondant

Decorating By mmqc Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 7:16pm by catlharper

mmqc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmqc Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 10

icon_confused.gif i want to color my homemade fondant black as i make it. have you or anyone ever done this and did it work? i'm trying to get out of some of the work .you can email me

9 replies
momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:16am
post #2 of 10

I make black mmf by dumping and entire jar of the wilton black gel in with the melted marshmallows as I add it them to the sugar. Let it sit over night and it will deepen. I use this mostly for accents. If I need to cover an entire cake black I usually cover it white and then airbrush so that its not tooth stainging (just a thin coating of food coloring instead of all through)HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:23am
post #3 of 10

If you add some cocoa powder in when you're adding in your powdered sugar it will give you a darker base to work with. But I always add in a whole lot of black and like momma said, letting it sit over night will make it darker.

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:31am
post #4 of 10

This is the recipe i use.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6971/true-black-mmf
hope that helps

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:58am
post #5 of 10

I bought as many bags of black chocolate melts as i could at halloween and use a whole bag to put in my marshmellow fondant as it is melting..

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:58am
post #6 of 10

Use a lot (1/2 to 3/4 cup) of cocoa powder in place of the powdered sugar, don't forget to put some vanilla flavoring to counter act the bitterness of the cocoa and you won't have to add much black color to the MMF to get the right color. Then let it sit for a couple of days to let the color ripen.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:05am
post #7 of 10

The Hershey's Dark Cocoa will make it even darker than normal cocoa will.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:39am
post #8 of 10

i put 1/4 cup cocoa in with conf sugar and then use 2 tbs of black gel color and in two days it is very black

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 10

I am suprised to see so many people saying to add cocoa to their mmf first. I tried that once and it really effected the texture of the fondant. No one else had that trouble? Just curious. Thanks icon_smile.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:16pm
post #10 of 10

No, it didn't seem to change the consistancy at all. I think it might be because I sifted mine so it was more the consistancy of powdered sugar? Just guessing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%