Tie Dye Fondant Cake

Decorating By maliss Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 10:04pm by Jaime3679

maliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maliss Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 7

I need advice on the best way to make a tie dye effect on a fondant cake. I'm not sure if it would be better to marble the fondant or try to airbrush the cake. I'm not an expert at airbrushing my any means, but it seems like it might be the quickest way.
I'm open to your suggestions. It will be a 3 tiered round cake.

6 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 7
juniecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juniecakes Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 7

I just saw a tye dye on cake boss last night. I starting watching midway through but I believe he marbled fondant then rolled through the fondant machine one direction then another to make it more irregular. It looked awesome.

maliss Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 7

Can't believe I missed that episode of Cake Boss. I really enjoy watching his show. Thanks.

Jaime3679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaime3679 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 7

We just made a groovy peace sign cake last week and this is what we did. We made four different colors of MMF and rolled them into thick logs about 8 inches long and laid them side by side. Then we twisted all four of them together a few time and then rolled each end inwards to form a ball/circle. Next we rolled out our fondant and it gave it the coolest effect. I attached a picture of the finished cake. We also were able to make balls out of the mixed colors and they looked like marbles.
LL

maliss Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 7

Jaime3679 thank you so much for your advice. I had actually saved the picture of your cake last week. I really like it and I think I will try to use your technique.
Appreciate the help. Now just wish me luck that it will turn out as nice and clean as yours!

Jaime3679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaime3679 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 7

GOOD LUCK!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%