Help With Electric Guitar Cake

Decorating By mfruchey Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 2:33am by momma28

mfruchey Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 13

I know there are tutorials on here for guitar cakes, but my search tool is not cooperating at the moment...

I am making a electric guitar cake for Saturday and would like any tips available.

Does anyone out there have a good tutorial or any tips or suggestions they can point me to?

Thanks for your help!

12 replies
momma28 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:04am
post #2 of 13

I have made several (I joked with a friend that I should advertise in the music store lol) There are pictures of 4 in my photos.

Do you have a reference photo from the client? I always make a template to carve from and go from there, matching color and such. I use an extruder for the strings (always put the strings on when you get to the delivery site if you can manage it, I delivered with strings on once and the shook and were not straight when I arrived, you live and learn)

If you want to PM me I would be happy to answer specific questions. I will try to add pics of a couple of mine to the post but sometimes I cant get it to work. Hopefully it will this time

ok only got one to load. you can look in my photos if you would like to see others.
LL

chanielisalevy Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:16am
post #3 of 13

My guitar cake was an acoustic one, but I made a template drawn on thick paper, checked to make sure the shape was perfect, comparing to a photo (you can use a real if you have one!) Then I cut a cake board the exact size for under the cake, then used the template to trim the sheet cake which was torted and filled to the exact shape I needed. I agonized over the strings then finally used thread for it. It looked the most real and fondant strings were a nightmare for me. Good luck!

Florimbio Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:18am
post #4 of 13

I too made a template out of posterboard, then cut it out...I used long pasta for the strings....got that idea from a fellow CCer....I used some of that can color to get the different hues...pic in my phots..hope that helpsicon_smile.gif

cakesrock Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:56am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

I always make a template to carve from and go from there, matching color and such. I use an extruder for the strings

:

I just finished one (in my photos). Ditto on the template/pattern and extruder for the strings. I did my strings in advance and used fondant/tylose- bad move. They broke and had to re-do them. Just use fondant cause you need some give. I would also work on the 'hardware' in advance. There's a lot to do if you want good detail. I used toothpicks to stick in the tuners.
For the metal look I tried 2 techniques: I painted fondant with silver lustre dust mixed with vanilla and also dry dusted grey fondant with silver lustre dust. The latter worked much better! I like the look of the dry dusted grey fondant better, less of a pain to do too! That cake took me forever!

Have fun and good luck!

mfruchey Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

momma28 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 13

Just one note. I use rice crispie treats for the neck and then place it on a few little risers. The neck in a guitar is never the same thickness as the guitar itself so it looks good this way. Here is a side view pick so you can see under the neck (I always take a pic cut, some people dont believe they are really cake LOL). I simply glue the risers to the board. The neck is on a board trimmed to its shape. (If I cover the baord in any particular color fondant (gibson guitar in my photos) I also cover the little risers in fondant to match. HTH
LL

mfruchey Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:45am
post #8 of 13

The finished product...

Thanks for the tips, y'all!
LL

jammjenks Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:40am
post #9 of 13

OMGosh. I kept scrolling because I thought this was the picture of the inspiration guitar. THIS IS THE CAKE? Wow! thumbs_up.gif

JGMB Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 12:47pm
post #10 of 13

You did a wonderful job!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

mfruchey Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks, guys. That means a lot!

Peanut1027 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:32pm
post #12 of 13

Wow all the guitars look great icon_biggrin.gif I can't wait until I have enough talent to be able to do something like that. What an inspiration!

momma28 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:33am
post #13 of 13

Came out GREAT!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%