Arg.. What A Dumb Dumb Mistake

Decorating By kel58 Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 2:24am by prterrell

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a cake for my sons babysitter and was all excited to try a new receipe. The good news is that the receipe turned out fantastic. The bad news...im an idiot and used the wrong pan size icon_cry.gif The cake is to serve 18-20 and i made 3- 6" square layers. I didnt even notice untill i had cake #2 in the oven. I thought it still might work out for me since a 2 layer 6" serves 12 so another layer should serve 18, right? But im thinking it might be totaly pain in the ass to cut a 6" in that small of slices. And input or am I re-baking tomorrow? agg i cant believe i didnt double check the serving chart. icon_sad.gif

5 replies
this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 6

is this a paid cake or a freebie?

If it's a freebie, then then just make it 3-layered. If it's paid, then give her exactly what she ordered and paid for.

ramacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramacake Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 6

I would stick the 6" cakes in the freezer and re-bake 8" layers. You'll just have some extra cakes in the house.

A 3 tier 6" cake can be a real pain to work with. Not to mention hard to serve.

At least it's not like you baked a l6" and really needed an 18"!!!!!!! That's when its a pain to rebake!!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 6

According to the Wilton Wedding Chart a 6in square does serve 18 people if it is 2 layers tall. icon_smile.gif

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 6

Well i did want it to be tall since i was going for a cake the looks like a gift. Similar to CareyI's "over the hill" cake. I am not planning of tappering it in though. I guess if i rebake 8" layers and make it 6" tall is will be too much cake... wow i guess i should have put more thought into this before i started baking.

the inspiration
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1547277.html

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:24am
post #6 of 6

I have done 3 tiered 6" square cakes before. Makes a lovely 6" cube. You'll def. have enough cake for 18 ppl.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%