Please Tell Me About Rich's Bettercreme

Decorating By Deb_ Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 11:22pm by kellikrause

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 22

I tried doing a search on here and came up with some posts but when I click on them it says error. I tried using Google and using CC after Bettercreme and nada! icon_confused.gif

So I just returned from my baker's wholesaler and they now carry this stuff in the freezer. I asked the woman who works there and she says she never tasted it but people buy it by the case....it's "less sweet" then reg bc.

It's the frozen 2lb carton that you need to whip.

So is it similar to Whipping Cream whipped or butter cream?

I'm curious....I bought a container and I'm waiting for it to thaw so I can whip it up.

Has anyone used it or tasted it and if so what's it like?

TIA

21 replies
_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 22

Hey Deb...here's some interesting reading.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-621224-.html

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 22

Thanks Jamie. That thread started my Mel is the same one I couldn't get to open after I searched here....weird that it's working now.

Have you personally tried it?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 22

It's not bad. Personally I would rather have Rich's than crisco BC.

Mike

Deb_ Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 22

Oh, so it's comparable to buttercream and not whipped cream?

Thanks Mike!

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 22

It's my understanding that it is closer to whipped cream, but is room temp stable, and can be flavored, etc. icon_smile.gif

Where did you find it? I would like to try some, but don't know where to get it. I see you're on the East Coast, too...

Mike1394 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:12pm
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

Oh, so it's comparable to buttercream and not whipped cream?

Thanks Mike!

I would say the taste is closer to WC than BC being that it isn't so sweet.

Consistancy is closer to a BC

Mike

quiltermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quiltermom Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:14pm
post #9 of 22

I LOVE Bettercreme! I have used it for years. Especially on sheet cakes. It's not nearly as sweet as butter cream frosting and way less mess to make. I keep mine in the freezer as well, but usually never wait for it to thaw before whipping up.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:15pm
post #10 of 22

I'd say it's closer in texture and flavor to whipped cream than buttercream, but once whipped, it doesnt need to be refrigerated like whipped cream.

Have you ever tried the "low sugar" or "whipped icing" cakes from the grocery store? That's basically what it is.

I love to use it for fillings because it's sooo versatile and easy to flavor and mix without needing refrigeration. Not a huge fan of it for just icing, though. I'd WAY prefer SMBC (which is close to the same texture) for flavor.

Deb_ Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 22

Thanks...

DJS...there's a baker's wholesaler in Lincoln, RI called J A R Baker's Wholesale. They sell everything. If you're close and want more info let me know I'll post directions for you. (Lincoln is about 10 to 15 min from Providence)

Deb_ Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:17pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjulie

I'd say it's closer in texture and flavor to whipped cream than buttercream, but once whipped, it doesnt need to be refrigerated like whipped cream.

Have you ever tried the "low sugar" or "whipped icing" cakes from the grocery store? That's basically what it is.

I love to use it for fillings because it's sooo versatile and easy to flavor and mix without needing refrigeration. Not a huge fan of it for just icing, though. I'd WAY prefer SMBC (which is close to the same texture) for flavor.

Oh yeah, I think I know what you mean. Our grocery chains offer an alternative to whip cream cakes in the summer, they sell it as being shelf stable...that must be what it is. It's kind of shiny looking?

Deb_ Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:18pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltermom

I LOVE Bettercreme! I have used it for years. Especially on sheet cakes. It's not nearly as sweet as butter cream frosting and way less mess to make. I keep mine in the freezer as well, but usually never wait for it to thaw before whipping up.

Oh cool I don't need to let it thaw first....getting my mixer ready now. icon_biggrin.gif

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:22pm
post #14 of 22

Wish I were up that way! icon_smile.gif Have a friend that lives up there - maybe she'll have to make a special delivery for me when she visits! LOL!

quiltermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quiltermom Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:22pm
post #15 of 22

Think whipping cream and you will be fine. If you do whip too long, it will get too thick and sorta lumpy. However, I have done that by mistake and added a bit more bettercreme liquid and it smooths out. Good luck and enjoy!

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:26pm
post #16 of 22

The only flavor that I have found in Rich's Bettercreme is Chocolate - I refer to it as a chocolate mousse.

It is really easy to whip up, I typically use it as a filling, though I have also frosted cakes with it. My best friend just likes a bowl of it straight and my nieghbors favorte is that I use any leftt over cake (unfrosted) layered with the Chocolate 'mousse' to make a 'triffle' - I have not had the heart to tell him I whip it straight from a carton, as he thinks it is the best dessert ever. When I make it with a chocolate Kalua cake he thinks I am a godess.

Deb_ Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:29pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake

The only flavor that I have found in Rich's Bettercreme is Chocolate - I refer to it as a chocolate mousse.

It is really easy to whip up, I typically use it as a filling, though I have also frosted cakes with it. My best friend just likes a bowl of it straight and my nieghbors favorte is that I use any leftt over cake (unfrosted) layered with the Chocolate 'mousse' to make a 'triffle' - I have not had the heart to tell him I whip it straight from a carton, as he thinks it is the best dessert ever. When I make it with a chocolate Kalua cake he thinks I am a godess.

That's awesome. I saw the chocolate flavor too, but I bought the vanilla.

Can this be mixed with real whipping cream to stabilize it?

Mike1394 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:35pm
post #18 of 22

No need to stabilize

Mike

Deb_ Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:44pm
post #19 of 22

lol, no I mean to stabilize the "Whipping" cream. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike1394 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:48pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

lol, no I mean to stabilize the "Whipping" cream. icon_biggrin.gif

LOLOL I don't know I would think it's something to play with. It's all going to be about the ratio of Rich's to WC. I never thought of it actually give it a try.

Mike

Deb_ Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:05pm
post #21 of 22

Well I whipped 1lb of the Rich's. It whipped up fairly easy, but I'm not sure about the taste. I added a bit of lemon extract.

I decided to try whipping some heavy cream and adding the 2 together.

I did a 1:1 ratio of the 2 and I like the taste and texture a little better with the addition of the whipping cream. (so I whipped each separately and then incorporated them together in my mixer for about 1 min on low) I didn't want to over beat it, and it seems like a nice consistency.

I'm trying out a new Maine wild blueberry cake/filling to add to my repertoire, I think I'll use this as a filling under the blueberries and as a top icing.

Thanks everyone for your help.

kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 11:22pm
post #22 of 22

I love Rich's bettercreme, I used it mostly for filling and flavored it with tons of different things. BUT, I just moved to Anchorage, AK and have no idea where to buy it here. Anyone from around here that has a clue? I would be very happy to find it here!! Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%