Wood Grain Effect

Decorating By cor39 Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 8:27pm by cor39

cor39 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 5

I wonder if anyone out there has any ideas on how to get the wood grain effect on a cake. My daughter wants a guitar cake for her birthday (this saturday) and I like the look of the wood grain guitars. Does it have to be done with fondant or can it be buttercream. PLEASE PLEASE help!!

4 replies
djs328 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 5

I did a wood grain effect on my guitar cake, which was whipped cream icing - I image it would work just as well on BC. If that's what you're looking for, let me know and I'll tell you how I did it. icon_smile.gif

icon_smile.gif

cor39 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 5

i just saw your pic of the guitar cake and yes that is what I am looking for. How do you get that wood grain effect. please let me know. Thanks

djs328 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 5

It's very hard, prepare yourself for my cake magic here... icon_wink.gif
I iced the cake in the lighter color (kind of a beige-y color) and then used a paint brush to drag some brown Americolor gel in the same direction I wanted the grain. Then, I used my spatula to kind of smooth the icing, dragging the color and icing with it. That's it! icon_wink.gif Told you it was complicated!
Hope that helps! If you are doing BC, I would do this while the icing is still soft, though...otherwise it might not blend too well.
OR you might be able to water the icing down a little with vanilla extract, and use a larger brush to do it once it's crusted.
Good luck! Be sure to post pics! icon_smile.gif

cor39 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 5

thank you so much for your advice. I am going to give it a try. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%