Fondant Decorations And Time Line

Decorating By Jessiefanu Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 7:21pm by greengyrl26

Jessiefanu Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 3

How far in advance can I make Fondant decorations for a cake to dry??? Please help I am a novice just learning. And what is a good time line start to finish for a tiered cake for sat with fondant thanks

2 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 3

Hi and welcome to CC. You can make fondant decorations weeks ahead of time and I would suggest doing so, especially if you are not sure of yourself. Always make extra too. For Saturday delivery, I would bake on Wednesday or Thursday, fill and crumb coat the next day, and then the next day, fondant and decorate. It is always best to let a cake settle overnight after filling and crumbcoating. HTH

greengyrl26 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 3

Some things take only a day or so to dry, others take longer. Shoes & bows, need at least a week to dry. icon_smile.gif
But if you're talking about fondant decorations to be placed on the side of a cake, I wouldn't let them dry because then they won't have the rounded shape of your cake and will crack/break when you try to add them. You could make these pieces in advance and keep them in a ziploc to keep them flexible.
HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%