Posting (Mailing) A Minature Cake?

Decorating By Samb88 Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 5:45pm by krm52200

Samb88 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 3

Hey,

I am looking to post out a minature cake for someon, 4" square which will be put into an acetate box - scared about the result at the other end!! I was thinking of glueing (maybe royal icing) the 4" board onto the bottom of the box, then again using royal icing to glue the cake onto the board. The cake will be covered with buttercream and fondant.

Am i mad for even thinking about posting it?

2 replies
KHalstead Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 3

I've mailed several fondant covered cakes with perfect results. Definitely put a board on top and bottom of the cake for support just in case it gets flipped upside down. Other than that the most important thing is to pad all around the cake (top, bottom, and sides) making sure there is very little to no movement whatsoever. Then place the boxed cake inside a larger box and again pad all around the smaller box so there is virtually no movement. The most damage will occur from the cake banging against the sides of the smaller box.
The double box method ensures that if someone steps or squashes the outer box, there is a buffer zone before hitting the cake, thus protecting it. HTH

krm52200 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 3

I've mailed a few small cakes (6" round) from NJ to Chicago. I double boxed as recommended above and wrapped them in lots of bubble wrap. Although they were slightly banged up, they really held up pretty well, all things considered. However, I was just mailing them to family for their birthdays. I would not consider doing it for a client since I have yet to have them arrive without minor damage.

Good luck and remember, bubble wrap is your friend icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%