To All Who Struggle With Pricing! (Thanks Indydebi!)

Business By TheDomesticDiva Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 11:00pm by superstar

TheDomesticDiva Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 15

At the urging of IndyDebi I'm posting this, just as something to encourage those of you who might be struggling with setting your pricing.

A few months ago I posted about finally getting to open my bakery business, and I was so afraid of upsetting the other bakeries in my area because of my pricing. Which basically boils down to me being afraid of rejection. (Who isn't, right?)

I didn't think I was worth charging for my time. (And at the end of the day, THAT was the problem. If I dont have confidence in myself, who will?) I mean, what if someone happened to tell me I was too expensive?! (Oh Lord forbid; I've since thought about this fear, and you know what? Big Whoop, that's what! I will happily give out the phone number to another bakery if they want something cheaper. If they want my cake, they'll pay for it. If not, well, I have more time to spend with my family.)

Debi's response was so helpful to me; that I am NOT in business to make friends and that every single thing I do is worth getting paid for. Would I expect my husband's boss to pay him for his time as well as his expertise? You're dang skippy. There's a reason employers make you clock in. Your time matters!

Originally I was thinking of charging $6/serving for my cakes when the other bakeries around here charged $8. Well--I thought long and hard about what she said, and on her advice and a few other insanely amazing and talented people here, I decided to go for a longshot, and charge starting at $9 a serving.

Then I waited and held my breath, expecting no one to appreciate my work enough to pay for it. Expecting a great big belly laugh when I gave a quote. ...And you know what?! So far that hasn't happened. And if it does, BIG WHOOP. I've already caught back up to even from the money I spent getting legal, and have more cake orders than I know what to do with.

So, again, Debi, THANK YOU for your encouragement and words of wisdom! In her words, "a market price does NOT scare off good customers!"

So don't be afraid to shoot for the heavens; the worst that can happen is you land amongst the stars.

14 replies
Mensch Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 15

mazel tov!

_Jamie_ Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 15

Amen girl! Here's to taking the time to investigate pricing, deciding you are worth it and not selling yourself short!

cownsj Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDomesticDiva

So don't be afraid to shoot for the heavens; the worst that can happen is you land amongst the stars.

I just LOVE this quote!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

aquamom Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 15

Inspiring!!!!

ladybug76 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 15

I am sure there will be alot of decorators who feel like you wrote that just for them!! icon_lol.gif I recently became licesed through the state and the only tab left blank on my website is pricing!! I have no idea where to begin! Don't want to go too high; don't want to go too low. Tried researching other bakers in my area and not too many sculpt figures so I'm at a loss!!

After reading your message, it helped to place things at perspective for me. I have a 2 month old and 4-year old at home with hopes of being able to stay home with them... Mamma needs to make the money.
Thank you for sharing... and inspiring!
~ Jaime

rosiecast Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 15

Whoo hoo!! Good for you. Keep it up!!!

FromScratch Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 15

Awesome!!! Good for you for realizing you are worth it!

jenmat Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 15

Nice! The only thing I would add- which was inferred in your post- was DO YOUR RESEARCH! We ain't gonna do it for you!
You can only price what your market will hold! I'm so glad you did your research before you priced yourself, because then you knew where you wanted to land, and what your marketing was going to have to be. Awesome job!

Uniqueask Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:04pm
post #10 of 15

Very Inspiring

kayjess Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:41pm
post #11 of 15

I recently read something that is along this line as well that helped me so much: "Make a promise to give TO yourself as much as you give OF yourself. Remember, DO NOT put yourself on sale."

Pastry-Panda Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:13pm
post #12 of 15

ROCK ON!!!!!

cakesweetiecake Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 10:37pm
post #13 of 15

Way to go!! icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 10:47pm
post #14 of 15

Applause, applause! Now take your bow, so we can give you a standing ovation. icon_smile.gif

superstar Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 11:00pm
post #15 of 15

Those are words of wisdom to live by!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%