Modeling Chocolate/figure Making

Decorating By cakecitycakes Updated 28 Jan 2010 , 4:20am by Renaejrk

cakecitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecitycakes Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 6

I am planning on making some backyardigan characters and I don't have much experience making characters.
Would you suggest modeling chocolate or fondant/gumpaste and do you have some good steps to follow? The characters are not going to be larger than about 3/4 inches tall.
If you would say modeling chocolate is there a good recipe for this?
Thanks for all the advice!

5 replies
kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 6

I really like to use candy clay to make my characters but I've found you have to work fast because it tends to melt in your hands. I did the Wubbzy characters in my pics with candy clay and it set up really nicely. the biggest benefit for me was that you can melt the peices together where you have to glue them with fondant or gumpaste.

cakecitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecitycakes Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for that information, I haven't heard of candy clay before in Canada, where is it available?

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 6

i'm not sure where to buy it but it is super simple to make! check this out...

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 6

I've used the candy melts you can get at Bulk Barn. Melt with corn syrup. I'm not sure on the ratio though.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:20am
post #6 of 6

There are different recipes with different ratios - they all work, you just get different consistencies icon_smile.gif !

Wilton's recipe:
10 oz package of candy melts
1/3 cup corn syrup

I have seen others that say 12-14 oz chocolate chips and 1/3 -1/2 cup corn syrup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%