These Dummies Are Outsmarting Me!

Decorating By sweetlayers Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 6:28pm by TitiaM

sweetlayers Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 13

Of course I am speaking of cake dummies! icon_biggrin.gif

This is my first time covering dummies. For some reason, my fondant keeps tearing from the top. That never happens when I'm covering a real cake. Can anyone please tell me how to make it stop and offer me some pointers on how to conquer this 'simple' task? icon_cry.gificon_redface.gif

TIA

12 replies
greengyrl26 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 13

Do your dummies have contoured edges are are they sharp? Mine are contour, and while it's a bit trickier than covering a real cake, my edges generally don't tear. The hardest part I have is keeping the dummy still while I try to cover it! Since they're so light, it wants to slide all over the place!

KHalstead Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 13

what are you using to adhere the fondant?? I usually just paint the dummies with corn syrup using a pastry brush and I brush the tops of the dummy too this way the fondant sticks right away be quick to push the fondant around the top edge on the side of the cake as soon as you get it on, that should help keep it secure so you won't get any tearing.

TitiaM Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 13

If you want the contoured look, you can use fine grit sandpaper around the edges of the dummy--it might help with the tearing too.

For me, it was partially just a matter of practice, though I do make the fondant a little thicker on a dummy than I would on a real cake. At first I found it more difficult to cover a dummy than a real cake, but now its definitely easier to cover the dummies...but I do a lot more dummy cakes than real cakes. Starting to ramble, sorry!

Good Luck icon_biggrin.gif

greengyrl26 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 13

TitiaM...how do you get the dummies to "hold still" while you're working on them? Mine want to slide right off the turntable!

dsilvest Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 13

If you soften the upper edge of the dummy by sanding lightly, or rolling it along the edge of the counter, or using the palm of your hand rubbed along the edge you will break it down slightly. The fondant will not tear as easily.
All I use is a bit of water to adhere the fondant to the foam. I find everything else is really messy. Just spray s bit of water on the foam and place it on a towel to catch any drips. Roll out the fondant, take the foam off the towel and then place the fondant on the foam. Finish just as you would a real cake.
The weight of the fondant should keep the dummy from moving around or place it on a non slip surface.

TitiaM Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 13

I cover it on the counter, don't use the turntable at all. The dummies move some, but usually its ok. You could try a piece or two of masking tape stuck to the bottom of the dummy and the counter or turntable--that might help.

greengyrl26 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

or place it on a non slip surface.

Of course..why didn't I think of that? Geezzz....sometimes I'm really such a ditz! Thanks for the help though!

adamsgama Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 13

What usually works for me to keep the little suckers in place is I push a wooden dowel about 3 inches long up thru the bottom of the cake board into the styro. I find this works

Adamsgama

newmansmom2004 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:53pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengyrl26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

or place it on a non slip surface.

Of course..why didn't I think of that? Geezzz....sometimes I'm really such a ditz! Thanks for the help though!

Some of that non-skid stuff you put under rugs is great - or if you happen to have the cel board with the little slots for wires, it comes with a non-skid rubbery thing. That would be perfect.

sweetlayers Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:25pm
post #11 of 13

You all are so wonderful!

I have one more question.

Do I need to cover the dummies in plastic wrap first? Or just use the naked styrofoam?

greengyrl26 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:27pm
post #12 of 13

Nope. Just naked strofoam that you sprayed or splashed with a little bit of water and you'll be set. And, after you're finished with them and want to take the fondant off (after at least a week), start from the bottom and it will peel right off. Easy peasy!

TitiaM Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:28pm
post #13 of 13

Either way. If you want to reuse the Styrofoam it is easier to remove if you have plastic wrap underneath. It's a little tricky to get the plastic on there and have it be smooth enough to cover without showing through. I put it on try to get it as smooth as possible (tape it underneath) then use a hair dryer to try to shrink it a little to the Styrofoam.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%