Any Certified Personal Trainers:

Lounge By GatuPR Updated 12 Feb 2010 , 11:58pm by mkolmar

GatuPR Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 11

My son is 17 years old, be 18 in a couple of months, and wants to become a personal trainer. He will be taking a CPR/AED class in February at the Red Cross.

My question is, how do you know which personal training certificate to get? I searched personal training certification and got so many webpages. They have ACE, ISSA, NASM, AFTA, AFAA, ACSM, NFPT, etc.

Anyone with a certification that can help me figure out the differences and what our next step should be. Thank you.

10 replies
tracieudes Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 11

I am an ACE certified trainer. really any of the ones you listed are very creditable.

mkolmar Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 11

Way back in the day AFAA, but you have to keep up on stuff and I didn't once having kids. I use to personal train and teach aerobics. I started working part time in a gym a few years ago and am a fitness trainer. I can not personally train anyone. Fitness training is only showing the machines.
I sometimes consider going back and getting it. If I was to though I would do ACE instead of AFAA. AFAA is good but ACE is a little better.

ACSM is very hard to pass but it is considered the top when it comes to training certs. A few personal trainers have ACE certs. where I work and have went to advance to the ACSM. My boss was one of them. She said it was really hard but worth it.

GatuPR Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you so much tracieudes and mkolmar. I think I will order the books for the ACE and then have him decide if he wants another certificate later on.

If I can ask a couple more question, which of the bundles will you think is best?

Also, do you know if he has to wait to graduate high school (June/10) before taking the exam?

tracieudes Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 11

he doesn't have to wait to graduated.. but with ACE you need to be 18 and already CPR/AED certified.

As far as the bundle.. depends on his knowledge. I got the premier bundle. Extremely helpful. I also did better with the computer testing verses the written exam.

GatuPR Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you again, tracieudes.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 11:06pm
post #7 of 11

There are many programs out there and some don't offer classroom learning (anatomy, nutrition, health sciences) as well as the actual hands on gym time. He needs a program that offers both, in my opinion. The best thing to do is call some larger clubs in your area and find out what certifications they require. Pick from the ones that more clubs will accept. I looked into this some time ago for a family member and I could not believe the difference in training options. I would not want a personal trainer who just took a crash course. I like NPTI's program.

GatuPR Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you adonisthegreek1 for the information. I already ordered the ACE books for him. I will looked into this program too.

tracieudes Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 11

A lot of clubs take ACE.. and as he will find out.. it's not just a "crash course." I like ACE because you can work at home with it. It is very involved in anatomy. ACE also offers a practical that he can take, which I highly suggest.

Good luck... let us know how it goes!

GatuPR Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 11:11pm
post #10 of 11

The program I bought him includes books on nutrition, anatomy, among other things plus it comes with a dvd. It turns out that his girlfriends mom got certified several years ago, so she had some books too that she gave him. I figure it will take him several months to study all the materials.

Thank you tracieudes, I will.

mkolmar Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 11:58pm
post #11 of 11

I'll 2nd that ACE or ACSM is the way to go. I'm 31 and I've been working in gyms since I was 17. These 2 are what is pretty much considered an industry standard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%