Copyright Question...

Business By buttercuppie Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 3:07am by djs328

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 8

Yes, yes I know the drill at this point having been on CC for a while it's against the law unless you get the company's permission. I got it, no problem there. (and I've actually done this with a company and they were very kinda about it as long as they got mentioned whenever I displayed it)

Here's my question. I just had a prospective client inquire about a "Finding Nemo" themed cake for his 2yr old daughter. (I don't know what he's looking for but wanted to have all my info before I got back to him)

So...Disney...no way! icon_eek.gif What I wanted to know is what if I purchased the actual cake toys from a regular store and just placed them on my "under the sea themed" cake. On his invoice, I would list them as a seperate charge which would just be what I paid on the receipt...NO PROFIT for me whatsoever.

Is that okay? (I tried looking on here through some of the other posts but I didn't see anything....forgive me if I didn't look deep enough)

I'm just trying to make sure I do things on the up and up...gotta sleep at night icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks!

7 replies
djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 8

I could be wrong here...just going from memory - but I think someone may have posted a while back that if the customer purchases the toys and 'they' put them on the cake, you're ok....

Another thought....clown fish are pretty common on an 'under the sea' cake, aren't they?? Don't think there would be anything wrong with including a specific type of fish
on there. A 2 yr old won't know it's 'not Nemo' - my kids think it's Nemo every time they see a clown fish anywhere!! LOL!!!

djs328 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 8

Also - I think if you purchase the DecoPak kits (I know, I know...icon_rolleyes.gif ) you are ok, also...again - anyone with real knowledge wanna chime in? [/i]

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 8

I would tell him that I could do either all clown fish on the cake (no specific characters from the movie, just fish and not cartoon ones with big old Disney eyes, either icon_rolleyes.gif ), or an undersea theme and he'd have to get the figures to put on it. I wouldn't have any of the figures pass through my ownership at any point just to be clear that I had nothing to do with them!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 8

Putting the toys on the cake is okay as far as I know since you are paying Disney the royalties when you purchase them. You didn't create them you just put them on your cake.

djs328 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:22am
post #6 of 8

THAT'S what I was thinking of...the royalties - all about the almighty buck! Thanks Jeanne! icon_smile.gif

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:44am
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone...I spoke with him and he understood where I was coming from legally and we settled on doing a "clown fish" on the top of the cake...and both it's fins will be the same size icon_biggrin.gif (he and I both agree that his daughter won't know the difference)

djs328 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:07am
post #8 of 8

LOL!!! No "lucky fin", huh? hehe! icon_smile.gif Glad it worked out...I'm sure the 2 year old will love the cake!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%