Private Instruction Questions....

Business By Loucinda Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 2:51pm by Loucinda

Loucinda Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 5

I never thought this would be a question from me.....but I got a call yesterday from a former student (I teach wilton) and she wants to take private baking lessons from me - willing to pay - says she needs to "perfect" her skills and wants to learn from someone who's products she has tried and likes. (She has her own recipes she wants to work with though) - anyone with ideas on how to address this? I've never taught "baking 101" stuff.......and never taught a "private" class (pricing?)

4 replies
kjt Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 5

No help, here, just wanted to give you a "pat on the back"!

How nice to see that someone is willing to pay for your sought-after expertise. thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 5

I charge $50/hr. for private lessons.......for class lessons it's $25 for 2 hrs.

They learn A LOT more when it's one on one and they get personal attention and that's worth more money/hr.

I love the private lessons more though, I usually come to their house too which they love.

I've also done bridal shower/bachelorette parties where I bring 5" round 2" high cakes and all the fixings for $25/person (minimum of 4 people) and spend about an hr. with them showing them how to decorate their mini cakes, then I leave and take all the mess with me.....those are a blast! Especially when I've spent about 2 hrs. prep time 1 hr. there and spent about $30 in supplies and walk out with $300 because some bride and her HUGE wedding party were in the mood for cake the night before the wedding lol.

GI Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 5

I would find out more specifics from her, like does she want a whole Saturday? Is she coming over to learn from you on your day off and how much in do$$ars is your day off worth to you? I personally would charge as much as a personal chef, probably upwards minimum of $25-$40/hr. Or more important, if she is learning technique, then she would be getting a huge bargain at your skill level.

And what about the cost of ingredients? Whose covering that? You or her?

Is she a young girl and just wants to learn how to bake? Perhaps guiding her to the local city classes which are cheaper would be better. Or send her to your former Wilton class if she wants that route.

I personally would feel very flattered if someone other than my family member wanted to learn from me. However, my free time is too precious! If the paycheck wasn't big enough, then I wouldn't bother.

HTH! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 5

No, she isn't a young lady, in fact, I am sure she is older than I am! (late 50's??) She is retired from the corporate world and wants to perfect her baking skills. She recently moved here from Minnesota.

I charged a bakery $50./ hour to show them how to work with fondant, I just wasn't sure what the market was for private lessons for a person. It stands to reason to charge the same - it is still my time. (whether it is a business or an individual - DUH icon_rolleyes.gif )

Thanks all for the responses, I appreciate the input. icon_smile.gif

KH - I like that "party" idea - never thought of doing that either!! thumbs_up.gif

kjt - thank you for the nice comment! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%