Royal Icing

Baking By Maynard628 Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 7:56pm by Maynard628

Maynard628 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 12:13pm
post #1 of 10

This maybe a little long .....but, I have an order for 80 cookies by tomorrow (Wed) and I had flooded the cookie with 2 colors (one of them was black) and had to wait each time for them to dry. I think I've placed them in the container too early before the black colored part was dry and when I took them out of the fridge the next day to color them again, there were 'white' air bubble-like spots (looks moldy) on a few of them! Help! Would ANYONE happen to know what these are? icon_surprised.gif

Also, how long can they stay fresh after flooding them, waiting for each to dry? I started this on Sunday and I have a second job, so I can't stay home all day and do them. I've placed them in the Tupperware and placed them in the fridge so they don't stay out at room temperature too long, but I'm hoping they are still good after the 3rd day. It just takes so long for the royal icing to dry.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. icon_smile.gif

9 replies
solascakes Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 10

Sorry I don't do cookies but I hope someone here helps soon. Good luck.

bonniebakes Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 10

Hi,

I let me cookies (RI iced) dry at room temperature for at least 24 hours to fully dry. I image the discoloration you are describing has something to do with either the cold, or more likely the humidity from being in the fridge, but I'm not sure...

I know a lot of people just leave them out, and they are fine, but I keep them on cookie sheets in a single layer and either cover them with plastic wrap or put them on a 4 tiered rack and cover the whole rack.

For a time-line, I usually bake one day and store in tupperware containers at room temp. The next day I start icing. sometimes I finish it all that day, but ofter I have to go into the next day for details. I got by a 3-4 day time-line for decorating (from baking to delivering for eating).

hope that helps!

Bonnie

prterrell Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 10

Why did you put them in the fridge? The air in the fridge has moisture in it, which is adding moisture back into the icing! Air dry the cookies at room temp. I leave mine out on the table sitting on wax paper with the ceiling fan on low for 6-8 hours and they're good to go!

globalgatherings Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 10

Hi Maynard, Yea, what they said; DON'T refrigerate your iced cookies. After icing leave them out at room temp too dry ( overnight or up to 24 hours is good). We have a lot of great cookie people on here, so don't hesistate to ask for help thumbs_up.gif

Kelly

Shortycake Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 10

Sometimes when I am in a pinch for time I actually turn on my dehumidifier unit in the room where the cookies are drying. I have experienced white spots or smears in my icing and it was due to me not thoroughly stirring the icing or making it too thin.

Maynard628 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 6:14am
post #7 of 10

Thank you all for your suggestions! Sorry I didn't thank you sooner. I just LOVE this website. I get so much help from all of you.

luv2bake6 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 10:32am
post #8 of 10

I always leave the iced cookies out to dry overnight. If i don't have enough time for that, i'll opt to use fondant instead.

antonia74 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 10

yup.....royal icing won't dry quickly/well when shut up in Tupperware (i.e. there's no air circulation around them) and never, ever should they go in the fridge thumbsdown.gif

Don't worry about your cookies going "stale" in a day or so. These decorated cookies aren't usually soft, chewy types.

Maynard628 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:56pm
post #10 of 10

I was gonna say the reason I stuck them in the fridge was 'coz I was afraid they'd go stale But now that you all say don't do that, then I won't put them in the fridge any more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%