How Do I Do A 3 Tier Wedding Cheesecake Covered With Fondant

Decorating By aliciam Updated 28 Oct 2014 , 4:58am by sleepy20520

aliciam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciam Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 16

Hi Everyone,

I was recently asked to make a 3 tier Wedding Cake with all the cakes being strawberry cheesecake. The bride would also like it covered in fondant. Has anyone ever covered a cheesecake with fondant before and has also has anyone ever stacked cheesecake into 3 tiers before? If so, how did you do it? I have read some reccommend covering the cheesecake with a white chocolate buttercream then the fondant but my fear is after the cake is on display for 2-3 hours won't the cheesecake loose its form due to the weight of the fondant ?
I hope someone can help me with this dilemma. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

15 replies
DelectabilityCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelectabilityCakes Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 16

Most bakers choose to just go with a cream cheese filling because if the whole cake is made from cheesecake then there is a lot more illness liabilities because of the cake sitting out and being at room temperature (which it shouldn't be allowed to do) and rather than trying to keep the wedding party from doing what they want and getting in trouble later it's better to just stay out of it entirely.. like make a strawberry cake with cream cheese filling then some kind of buttercream and then the fondant.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 16

I worked in cheesecake bakery for a bit and we stacked them all the time. You do it just like you do any other cake, except you add in a few more dowels. We never covered them in fondant, always buttercream. I would think that if you covered the cheesecake in fondant before you refrigerate or freeze it the fondant might go on better. I wouldn't put it on after you freeze it.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 16

I have no idea but two thoughts that come to mind is maybe cover the cheesecake with ganache so it seals the moisture to then apply fondant, and the second thought is to tell them that it absolutely needs to be refrigerated until the last possible minute.

I'll still be a nervous wreck because of the food borne illness possibilities.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 16

We always froze our cheesecakes so we didn't really have to worry about them not being refrigerated until they were eaten. They took several hours just to thaw out enough to eat.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 16

There are two or three people around the NE WI area that do cheesecakes. They cover it in fondant all the time. Now, the how to, I don't know. But I know it is done. I like the ganache idea personally.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 16

I do cheesecake weddings all the time. Bake like regular (2" layers or whatever) and stack to layers to make a normal height tier. I put SMBC between and all over, chill, fondant, stack (extra dowels), and proceed as usual.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 16

Don't forget that a cheese cake wedding cake can sit out 15 minutes, 20 minutes tops before serving. Prior to that it must be kept refrigerated.

dream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dream Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:09pm
post #9 of 16

Check out http://www.elegantcheesecakes.com. Theirs is coverd in chocolate paper I believe.

aliciam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciam Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:18am
post #10 of 16

Thank you so much everyone for all your thoughts. I really appreciate it. As it turns out I decided to talk to the bride and convince her to do a strawberry cake with a chocolate ganche and fresh strawberry filling. I also will make a small cheesecake on the side for her. This way I do not have to stress about it and she to will have a beautiful and stress free day aswell. I explained to her all the pro's and con's for making the cake and she understood completley.
Once again, Thank You for all your help it was so nice of you all to take time and reply to me.
icon_biggrin.gif

prettysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettysweet Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:38am
post #11 of 16

I don't have any answers for you but I have some related questions. I make cheesecake frequently but I have always used a springform pan with the removable metal base leaving the metal bottom on the serving plate. How can you bake a cheesecake so it can come off the metal base? I would like to make a 3 tier cake with only one tier of lemon cheese cake, 1 of polynesian and the 3rd of chocolate. I was hoping to use buttercream on the cheesecake and chocolate and cream cheese buttercream on the polynesian but all in the same color.

bakingparaiso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingparaiso Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 8:04am
post #12 of 16

as for getting the cheesecake off from the metal circle from the springform pan, what you can do is cut a circle of wax paper and get both the metal circle and both sides of the wax paper kinda buttery. then cheesecake will come right off with any kinda spatula. but you do have to be sure of where you are going to put it and get it placed there the first time around, your chances of destroying it increase exponentially each move there after.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 5:13pm
post #13 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by prettysweet 

I don't have any answers for you but I have some related questions. I make cheesecake frequently but I have always used a springform pan with the removable metal base leaving the metal bottom on the serving plate. How can you bake a cheesecake so it can come off the metal base? I would like to make a 3 tier cake with only one tier of lemon cheese cake, 1 of polynesian and the 3rd of chocolate. I was hoping to use buttercream on the cheesecake and chocolate and cream cheese buttercream on the polynesian but all in the same color.

don't bake it in a springform pan. line a regular pan with parchment and after the cake is baked, set and chilled, run a thin spatula around the cake and warm the bottom to release it from the pan. cover with a cardboard round, flip it out, put a round on the bottom and flip it back. 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 10:07pm
post #14 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by prettysweet 
.......I make cheesecake frequently but I have always used a springform pan with the removable metal base leaving the metal bottom on the serving plate. How can you bake a cheesecake so it can come off the metal base? .....

I have springform pans also.  I flip the bottom upside down and place it in the form, then line it with parchment paper.

sleepy20520 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleepy20520 Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 4:46am
post #15 of 16

I also have to make a tiered cheesecake wedding cake - can anyone give me a good recipe and also some idea on what you charge for cheesecake?

sleepy20520 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleepy20520 Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 4:58am
post #16 of 16

one more question, does it matter if you use bake or no bake cheesecake when making a tiered cheesecake/wedding cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%