Dehumidifier

Decorating By obabassa Updated 28 Jan 2010 , 6:08am by obabassa

obabassa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obabassa Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:21am
post #1 of 4

We have very high humidity here in South Louisiana. I would like to purchase a dehumidifier to use in my kitchen. However, so many different ones and a wide price range.
Not sure what I'm looking for or need.
Does anyone know anything about these machines?

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:52am
post #2 of 4

I bought one last year, because the apartment I was renting didn't have a functioning air conditioner. This is the one that I bought: http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Air-Conditioners-Fans-Dehumidifiers-Dehumidifiers/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5Zb9b9/R-100661954/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=1 I had to change the bucket twice a day. It also puts out hot air...hot dry air but still hot air. It hums as it runs, about as loud as a fan, and my lights would flicker when it's compressor cycled on. The downside to the one I got is, if you don't get the bucket in just right, the automatic shutoff doesn't get in there right, and the bucket will overflow without stopping the machine. It did make it easier to work with fondant and it made the apartment much more comfortable than it would have been otherwise. It also seemed to help with our allergies. The other downside was that we got used to the dry air and when we'd go out in the hot, humid air we would start feeling really bad.

There was a way to hook a water hose to the machine so that you didn't have to drain a bucket a couple times a day, but where I wanted to use it, I didn't want to have a hose running that the kids could trip over.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 4

I have one that i run in the basement (have dampness problems down there) i empty the bucket once a day and only run in the summer months don't really need it in the winter with the furnace running.

Mine is just a basic model that i picked up at Sears years ago. Think i paid around $150 for it and it holds about 1 1/2 gals of water.

You do want on that has an auto shut off, so if you forget about it you don't end up with a mess. One that adjusts the amount of dryness you want in the room helps too. Down south you may want a larger one as you are dealing with much more humidity then i am, for many more months then i am.

obabassa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obabassa Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:08am
post #4 of 4

Thank you very much. This helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%