How Can I Get Professional Wedding Cake Pics For My Website?

Business By mom2spunkynbug Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 10:34pm by indydebi

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:11am
post #1 of 19

I want to start a new website (upgrade) and all of the pictures of my wedding cakes are taken by me. I am no photographer! How can I get the copies of the professional photographer's pics? Can I just ask the brides? Should I offer them something in return if they email me a pic in x amount of days/weeks/months?

18 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:30am
post #2 of 19

Actually, the copyright of the photos taken by the professional photographers belongs to them, not the bride. You'll need to contact the photographers themselves to request a copy of the photo and a copyright release allowing you to publish the photo on your website. Most likely, they will require you to credit them on your website.

katerpillrgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katerpillrgrl Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:37am
post #3 of 19

yeah ask the bride for the photographer info and contact photographer. in most cases copyright belongs to photographer. sometimes they hand over negatives to brides. ask about it during consultation.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 19

do photogs still use negatives? icon_lol.gif

I always ask the photog for copies and they are usually more than happy to provide them to me as long as I put "Photograph by XXXXX" on the picture. I've only had one charge me for the pic, others are very nice. I make sure to ask for a digital copy so that I can put it on the website.

Also, I ask for the name of their photog at their tasting appointment as well as on the actual contract.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 19

same as Jill. I would always flag down the photog at the wedding (since I was usually there as the caterer during hte event) and tell them that I forgot my camera and I wanted to hire him/her to take photos of the cake and/or buffet for me. Do the card exchange. Every single time I asked a photog to take photos for me, they generously emailed me a copy for free and I credited them when I posted the pic on my site.

Photog's are pretty cool folks!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 1:07pm
post #6 of 19

Also talk to them about trading website links.

Mike

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 19

I set up a nice backdrop and do editing on mine and take my own pics whenever possible. I'm not taking the chance on the photographer capturing just the right angle or lighting I want displayed on my site. I forgot to takepics about a month ago of a HUGE setup I did. It's nice that the planner is slowly forwarding pics as they come in from the pro but so far, all the pics have the bride and groom, and the cake is only halfway in the frame. This was a 4 tier with two 2 tiers on each side....that's the shot I want, the cakes! Still kicking myself for that one. icon_sad.gif

mom2spunkynbug Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 19

Ok, so I will start asking who the photographer is during the tasting & note it on the contract.

Usually I am the only one there when I'm setting up the wedding cake...maybe the florist is there & the dj is starting to set up but that's it. Isn't the photographer usually at the wedding ceremony before the reception?

Actually I've NEVER seen the photographer while setting up a cake!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:58pm
post #9 of 19

You could always just ask the bride who the photographer was then contact them diroctly. The photogs around here are very willing to give you good prints, especially if I link to them form my website.

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:17pm
post #10 of 19

I have an area written into my terms of contract that states that I will be contacting their photographer for a photo of the cake. Simple as that; then you have everything covered! icon_smile.gif Ask the photographer!

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:25pm
post #11 of 19

Yes, us photogs are pretty cool Debi! icon_smile.gif

Most photographers have switched over to digital, especially wedding photogs, much much easier to edit photos, and if needed look at them right away to make sure you have some good pics of the wedding party if needed. Sometimes the little kids get ansty. icon_smile.gif

mom2spunkynbug Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:36pm
post #12 of 19

Wow! I just went onto one local photographer's website to find her email address (because I know she did a wedding where I did the cake) and there is a picture on her website that shows part flowers, part wine glasses and part cake - and it's my cake! That's so cool! I can't wait to see what other pictures she took of the cake!! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the advice everyone!!

By the way...are photographer's generally a lot more expensive than cake decorators? (My last tasting couple was going on about how it's robbery or something & you can't even keep the negatives - I was like....soooo, how's that strawberry cake?! icon_cool.gif )

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:40pm
post #13 of 19

Lol....they probably say the same thing when they sit down with the photog, abuot the cake decorator!

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:53pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

By the way...are photographer's generally a lot more expensive than cake decorators? (My last tasting couple was going on about how it's robbery or something & you can't even keep the negatives - I was like....soooo, how's that strawberry cake?! icon_cool.gif )

Alot of photographers most basic packages start at 450 & Ive seen them go up & over 2000.

Also, a lot of photographers now days are doing shared releases & giving you cd's with your pics on them & a release to use them for your own benefit. However, the cake decorator would still need to contact the photographer, Id say 99% of them should be cool about it, makes them look good as well as you. icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:59pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:

Photographers can range in price from really high to really low, and it's another situation of "but it's just taking a picture, why does it cost so much." Nobody thnks about how much time they spend working with the pictures after the event, let alone the abuse they have to take from dealing with the frenzied brides the day of the wedding! I think a lot of brides must think they just take the pictures then go print them out, they don't realize the amount of work that goes into it.

Also, if you cheap out and don't get a good photographer you will regret it. Just like a cheap cake icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:26pm
post #16 of 19

Photography is an art... you can't put a price on it really. I have seen a very wide range, but if you want GOOD pictures of your day... you have to pay. This is 8+ hour of their time on the day plus endless hours of editting images. I wouldn't think anything of dropping $3,000.00 plus on a wedding photographer. It's the difference between getting images you will treasure, and horrid snapshots that look like your 2 year old could have taken them.

Anyone can take a picture, but it takes mad skillz to capture moments that covey emotion... and do it well.

(can ou tell I like photography as much as I love caking? icon_lol.gif)

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:29pm
post #17 of 19

Oh... and as far as the original question, I take the pictures that I am puttng on my site. I am not a pro, but I can't leave it to the wedding photog to get the right picture. Nor can I afford to have someone come over and take them for me before I leave (or have a session with dummies.

I do always like to see what the photog captures though. icon_smile.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:47pm
post #18 of 19

We cheaped out on our photog. We simply did not have the money to pay a professional. Through an aquaintance, I was introduced to a college student who did photogrpahy mostly as a hobby, but had some professional equipment. She was slower than a professional might have been (for example, didn't have an assistance to load cameras, and she only had 1 camera) and I didn't get some of the shots I'd been hoping to get (didn't help that DH and groomsment were hamming it up prior to the wedding which led to less bridal shots of me icon_rolleyes.gif), but in the end, our day was documented and we have plenty of good pics for an album and to hang on the walls. Had I been able to afford the $1500-$2000 (which was what pretty much all the pros in the area charged) for a professional, I would have done it, but, ultimately, 7 years later, I'm happy with what we had. We did have the ceremony videod for free by a friend (made a lovely DVD for us as our present).

With wedding budgets, it all comes down to what's the most important to you? For us, our budget, including honeymoon was abut $7,000, with my parents contributing $3,000 of that. We just simply couldn't devote a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the budget on photos without sacrificing a bunch of other stuff that we deemed more essential.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 10:34pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:

Isn't the photographer usually at the wedding ceremony before the reception?

Actually I've NEVER seen the photographer while setting up a cake!

Yes, they are. Which is why it's not unusual that you've never seen a photog wen you're setting up the cake. As a caterer, I'm usually at the reception anyway, so it's easy for me to touch base with them.

Barring that, it's a good idea to find out who the photog is so you can contact them ahead of time and hire/contract with them ahead of time to get the cake photos for you.

I just LUV the photos of my cakes taken by the pro's.

I have a friend who does photography as a hobby and does weddings for friends here and there. I spoke to him about "be sure you get a picture of the CAKE!!!!" I shared with him one photog's website where all of the wedding pics are online and family/friends can order prints from the hundreds displayed. In every wedding file of his that I went thru, he got a PARTIAL pic of the cake! icon_cry.gif So my friend did a wedding and brought me a picture of the wedding cake with a note attached, "Just for you, Deb!" icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%