How About A Tutorial On Making A Baseball Cap =]

Decorating By miasuzzette Updated 6 Mar 2014 , 5:57pm by darascakes

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:38am
post #1 of 12

Hi, Does anyone has a Tutorial on making a Babseball Cap? I would like to learn. Thanks for looking and your responds... thumbs_up.gif

11 replies
alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:53am
post #2 of 12

I e-mailed you the instructions that was sent to me when I made mine. Hope it helps.

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:58am
post #3 of 12

thumbs_up.gif Thanks alot... icon_biggrin.gif I got it... I appreciate it.Have a Good one.

dmax422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmax422 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:54am
post #4 of 12

Making a baseball cake for my boss's 50th and would love those baseball cap instructions!! icon_smile.gif

alene Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:10am
post #5 of 12

dmax422, PM'd them to you. Good Luck

tracyhermann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracyhermann Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 12

Can I have the instructions too?!?!?!?

alene Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 12

tracyhermann, just PM'd it to you. Good Luck

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:37pm
post #8 of 12

Can I please get them too! Would love to make this for hubby's b-day!

alene Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:36pm
post #9 of 12

Baseball Cap Instructions

The hat shape I made with one half of the Wilton ball cake pans and I set that on top of a 6" round cake, so you end up with a half a sphere.
- I cut a few small divots out of the cake to make it look a little more real and not too rounded, and covered the whole cake with fondant.
- I then divided the cake into 8 sections. I first did this using a piece of floss so that I could get some light lines to trace and then I went over those lines with a gum paste tool to make them deeper but not cutting through the fondant. Then on either side of the lines, to make a seam I used the gum paste wheel tool that has teeth on it so that it looked like stitching.
- I made the bill of the hat using a piece of flexible plastic, like the front of a spiral bound notebook so something flexible like that. I actually used the clear plastic packaging that covered the fondant tools from Wilton that I bought. I cut it to the shape that I wanted and pushed it into the cake where it would be in the final piece. I then took it out and covered it with fondant leaving a 1" strip without fondant on the back so that could go back into the cake. I used that same wheel tool with teeth to make the stitch detail on the bill of the hat as well.
- This is where I ran into some trouble. You need to come up with some way to get the bill back into the slot you made before without messing it up. I could not figure out how to get it to dry in the shape I needed it to be in without putting it in the cake. So I pushed it in a tried to repair the marks that I made.
- Make and attach the logo and you are done.

I had a hat sitting next to me while I did it so I could refer to it. It was the first one I made and actually I thought it was pretty easy, the bill was the most difficult part for me.

kikibakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikibakes Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:51pm
post #10 of 12

thanks alene!! icon_smile.gif

peggy1672 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peggy1672 Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 12:27am
post #11 of 12

would you mind helping out one more lost decorator?

darascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darascakes Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 5:57pm
post #12 of 12

Alene, how did you make the gold logo/stamp that is on the brim of the hat? 

Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%