Can I Use Tylose Powder To Make Fondant Like Gum Paste?

Decorating By Katiwren Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 10:45am by Elise87

Katiwren Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:07am
post #1 of 8

I am a first time fondant user and was going to make my boyfriend a fisherman cake for his birthday. I was planning on sculpting a small fisherman for the top of the cake, and I read somewhere that I could use Tylose powder in my fondant to make it more like gum paste. Is this true? If so, how much do I use?

If tylose won't make my fondant sturdy enough for a figure, I can always run to walmart and buy some gum paste, but I'd really like to use what I already bought.

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
SpringFlour Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:14am
post #2 of 8

Yes, you can just add the tylose to your fondant. I can't give you an exact measurement...I usually just sprinkle some on, I don't measure. Maybe about 1/2-3/4 teaspoon for a 2 inch sized ball? Someone else will be able to give you a more accurate measurement, I know! icon_lol.gif

Evoir Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:19am
post #3 of 8

I can't give you an exsact measure - I usually just dip the coloured bit of fondant I have into the tylose jar and knead in thoroughly. Its really not much. I agree with SpringFLour.

Tiffany29 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:33am
post #4 of 8

Yes you can! I am not sure of the exact measurements. I eyeball it.
I read that some people use 1-3 tsp per pound. You could always add a little to start with and add more later.
you'll know by feel if it needs more or not. Good luck!

Elise87 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:40am
post #5 of 8

I read somewhere it was like 2-3 teaspoons of Tylose powder to 1lb of fondant cose i want to do the same you just add it and it starts to feel firmer like gumpaste?

newmansmom2004 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:04am
post #6 of 8

I do this all the time. Generally I do a fairly small amount of gumpaste - something like a ball about the size of my fist then I mix in about 1/8 of a teaspoon and it works just fine. In fact, I just made some up to make orchids over the weekend and they're doing great - drying nice and firm as they should.

Evoir Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:37am
post #7 of 8

Elise - its a bit firmer but quite pliable. The biggest thing is how fast it dries (also its trickier to re-knead and re-mold after its been rolled and cut once, in my experience...but I like it quite firm and dry to work with!) . You really need to have a floppy mat on hand! But I find it great to use especially when you need deep colours.

Elise87 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 10:45am
post #8 of 8

thanks for the advice evoir! Have made some little figurines with it and they truned out pretty good icon_smile.gif and yeh at first it just feels like normal fondant and then after a while firms up pretty fast but still workable icon_smile.gif

Oh and found out if u leave it wrapped up for a while it seems to turn into like a rubber consistency though lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%