Advice On Covering A Tall Cake With Fondant

Decorating By wildwolves Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 3:37pm by MYCHEFTX

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 1:15am
post #1 of 4

I have been asked to make a 6" cake that is about 8" high.. Everytime i cover a tall cake i have trouble getting the fondant smooth at the bottom of the cake.. Doea anyone have any suggestions on how i can can apply the fondant to get a smooth finish at the bottom?
Thanks Rach icon_smile.gif

3 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:33am
post #2 of 4

I tried this once with disastrous effect, and so tried to find the same answer after the fact, in case there was a "next time." I have read again and again that you might want to consider freezing the crumb-coated cake and then applying the fondant sideways, jellyroll style. You would make sure to create a generous overlap and seal the seam well (gum glue best bet) and then you can rub the seam out a bit to minimize it...and of course put it at the back.

I have never tried this technique but have read about it here time and again! Otherwise the only other advice I've ever seen is: take it even slower, lift and smooth. That is hard because there is SO much excess!!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 11:07am
post #3 of 4

We did one like this and we were two people = four hands. It was hard because it kept wanting ti tear at the top, but we manhandled it in place and everything eventually worked out.

MYCHEFTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYCHEFTX Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 4

I have found that the cheaper fondant brands give me alot more trouble. I use caljav white chocolate fondant. Its great! I is much more user friendly. Few tears ,thinner coverage and great elasticity.

Cindy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%