Starting To Do Wedding Cakes....couple Questions!!!

Business By Bozilla_Cakes Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 3:37pm by tootie0809

Bozilla_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bozilla_Cakes Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 5

I have a bakery and this is my fourth month being open. In terms of cakes (I have several other things on my menu) I have only been offering basic layer/sheet cakes and 2D/3D shaped cakes. I have been practicing wedding cakes lately just to see if I have the ability to do them and I found I LOVE making them. So I am going to start marketing myself on wedding blogs, venues, etc.

Ok, so my questions are about cake stands. I am required to provide cake stands for every wedding? Or do I provide basic cake plates/cake boards to support the structure and the bride/groom provide the stand they want it on?

Also, for cupcake wedding cakes, do I provide the cupcake tower? Rent it to them? Does the cost per cupcake include a small cake to cut or do they pay for that separately?

Lastly, are cake toppers typically provided by the bride and groom? If they want me to provide them, do I add a certain cost on for finding and buying it? Then do I get to keep it or give it to them to keep?

Sorry if these questions sound silly! I have been doing tons of research and these are the last few questions I can't seem to find answers too. I also don't have any experience as I have only been to a couple weddings in my life and I am getting married in 6 weeks, but doing the cake (cupcakes) myself!

Thanks for responses in advance! If this has been asked already, please point me to the right posts as I was not successful. icon_wink.gif

4 replies
cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 5

Cake topper is supplied by bride and groom. And for me, they leave it on the table that the cake will be placed on- I put it on top when I arrive. I do offer them websites to go to that I trust. For cake stands and cupcake stands, you will need to have them available for rental. Very rarely I do have a MOB that wants to buy the stands herself- lord knows what they'll do with them afterwards. I offer mine at a $25 rental- and require them back the next Wednesday. I also take a 100.00 security deposit that gets refunded when my stands return safely. There are shops in my area that rent for way more- like $75- so I guess that's up to to you. Good luck!

Bozilla_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bozilla_Cakes Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:31am
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the info!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:51am
post #4 of 5

I have a cupcake tower that has up to 7 tiers available for use - rent it out for $25 with my cupcake wedding order. Cake deco shop nearby rents them out for $50. I also charge a $200 deposit for its safe, unharmed return within 48 hours.

I also own a 16 inch square plateau which the bride and groom can hire for $25 if they desire. Again, there is a refundable deposit.

I charge separately for the cutting cake on top. Its all itemised.

I offer to purchase the topper on behalf of the bride and groom if needed - then add it onto the contract price. I do not charge any extra than list price plus postage. Its just a service I provide. Ditto for special cupcake wrappers etc. They keep the topper as they have paid for it.

HTH! They're all good questions icon_smile.gif Just make sure you get deposits for those stands as you depend upon them being there when you need them!

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 5

I have a large silver cake plateau that they can rent for $20 with a $100 damage deposit. I also have several cupcake towers they can rent for $20.00, again with a security deposit. No, it is not your responsibility to provide the display equpiment for cakes. They're paying you for a cake, and all the additional table display items are extra. These things can get very expesnive, so you have to make your money back on them by renting them out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%