Don't Know About Fresh Flowers, So Here's My Question ...

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 9:45pm by emiyeric

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 10

My friend is getting married next month, and their wedding flowers are hydrangeas. I have never worked with fresh flowers on my cakes, and I am not involved in the decoration of his wedding cake at all, but he was asking if fresh hydrangeas are feasible. I told him I had no clue, since I know that even if flowers aren't poisonous, they must still be prepared in a food-safe manner. But they are doing a grocery-store-bought cake to save as much money as possible, and want to do the flowers themselves (you know the story), but don't want to poison anyone. So for all of you flower-decorating pros, are hydrangeas a safe option?

9 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 10

Yes,they are poisinous. If they are set on having that flower I'd say either gumpaste flowers or silk flowers.

http://homecooking.about.com/library/weekly/blflowersnot.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_poisonous_flowers

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 10

Can I add to this question? ...

I was recently thinking about doing a cake with fresh flowers also. I've seen the Wilton stabby things that hold a flower but I was wondering if I did a rose, do you completely keep the rose from touching the cake, or just the green part or what? Can you use a straw and slip the stem in that?

Darthburn Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 10

Can I add to this question? ...

I was recently thinking about doing a cake with fresh flowers also. I've seen the Wilton stabby things that hold a flower but I was wondering if I did a rose, do you completely keep the rose from touching the cake, or just the green part or what? Can you use a straw and slip the stem in that?

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 10

Rose petals are actually edible... so long as they were grown w/o pesticides, anyways.

- Leisel

emiyeric Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 12:04am
post #6 of 10

Thanks, guys! That's what they needed to know. I'd forgotten about silk flowers ... I'll suggest that to them!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:16am
post #7 of 10

hi. I worked in a florist shop for a number of years and hydrangeas are only poisonous if THEY (the flower buds) are consumed. If you use them on a cake make sure you use a flower pick!! And remove them from the cake before serving.

TELL YOUR FRIENDS.. that hydrangeas do not make good cut flowers..if they use them they need to cut them the day of wedding..put them in the pick immedately and they will be good for roughly 7 hours. after that they will start to wilt and die.

In my pictures the white cake with the white roses and buttons (thats what I call them) the bride wanted hydrangea but i would not do it.. because she wanted the cake the day before and I knew they would be dead. I wasnt surprised when I found out that all their flower arrangements..hydrangea...were dead the following morning and they had to replace them all.

they could try silk ones.. they look great..

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:23am
post #8 of 10

this is to darthburn...

It is safe for roses to touch the cake. HOWEVER.. when you cut the roses MAKE SURE that you CUT THEM with their STEM UNDER WATER. Cut then wait a few seconds then pick or wire..which ever you prefer... for a rose to maintain its moisture its stem has to be cut under water..it only soaks up water in the first few seconds after being cut then seals itself.

I use mainly fresh cut flowers on my cakes.. so with roses.. i just have a bowl full of water sitting next to me, and just simply cut it and let it rest against the edge for a few seconds.

Darthburn Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:30am
post #9 of 10

Thank you very very much! icon_biggrin.gif

emiyeric Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:45pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks for the great info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%