Tutorials Needed For Sunglasses And Makeup

Decorating By PinkLisa Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 4:14pm by PinkLisa

PinkLisa Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 8

Anyone know of any tutorials for Sunglasses or Makup. I'm making a Sweet Sixteen cake....

7 replies
bashini Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 8

Hi, hope this helps for the makeup.

http://www.how2cakes.com/bag.html

milkmaid42 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:15am
post #3 of 8

I don't have a tutorial, but I did make a pair of glasses for my ophthalmologist's cake in my photos. I simply rolled some thin snakes of gum paste and formed one into a glasses shape and let it dry flat on the work surface. For the bows, I took two identical lengths, flattened them somewhat on the end and let them dry also. When fully dry, I assembled with gum glue and supported with cotton until the glue dried. The lenses I made from gelatin and cut into the appropriate shape to fit. While mine were clear, you can tint the gelatin any shade you want for sunglasses. They were easy to make but unfortunately don't show up too well in the photo. I made extra to allow for breakage. I hope this helps you.

PinkLisa Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:08am
post #4 of 8

Thanks so much to both of you!!!! This is a great helpicon_smile.gif

PinkLisa Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:23am
post #5 of 8

milkmaid42 -- I've never worked with gelatin before. Do you just spread it out in a thin layer on a cookie sheet and then when set cut it to the needed shape?

ginger6361 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:59am
post #6 of 8

thanks for the tutorial!!

milkmaid42 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 8

Here is my recipe for sheet gelatin. I can't remember where I first got it to credit the individual, but it is simple to make. You need to allow yourself several days in advance since it is thick and slow drying.

SHEET GELATIN

1 Packet of Knox gelatin
1/4 C. Plain tap water

Combine and let sit, (bloom), for about 5 minutes. Dissolve completely over hot water, stirring very gently to avoid bubbles. Pour out onto a sheet of acetate* using a spatula to level, or tap it lightly on the counter. Let it sit, undisturbed, several days or until it starts to pull away from the surface. It will appear to be almost plastic and can be cut with scissors.

This is a stiffer recipe from that which makes the beautiful flowers and bows. In addition to the glasses lenses, I used it for my dragonfly wings as it accepts the food color marker well. For your sunglasses you should add the color in with the water. I hope this helps you. I find it fun to work with.

*Acetate is a clear plastic, available at craft stores or artist supply stores. I tried using glass once, thinking it was smooth, but it didn't release well at all.

PinkLisa Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:14pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much Milkmaid42!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%