Purse Cake

Decorating By jolie1977 Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 7:32pm by FullHouse

jolie1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolie1977 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 10

I'm really interested in learning how to make a purse cake, so I've been researching the internet for any book or DVD on the subject. I'm wondering if anyone has a book or DVD to recommend? So far, I've only found 1 DVD on the subject, and it's how to make gumpaste purses... where I'm looking to make a "cake" in the shape of a purse. I'm a perfectionist too, so I REALLY want to get the best possible education on the subject... I've seen such beautiful purse cakes on this site, so I'm sure there must be something out there... In need of any help or advice!

Sincerely,
Joline icon_smile.gif

9 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 10

Have you tried youtube?

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 10

google is very helpful though

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 10

You can get the book called CONFETTI CAKES by Elisa Strauss. She has a purse cake in there!!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundron

You can get the book called CONFETTI CAKES by Elisa Strauss. She has a purse cake in there!!

Great book, your local library may have it, otherwise Amazon has a good price for it.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolie1977

I'm really interested in learning how to make a purse cake, so I've been researching the internet for any book or DVD on the subject. I'm wondering if anyone has a book or DVD to recommend? So far, I've only found 1 DVD on the subject, and it's how to make gumpaste purses... where I'm looking to make a "cake" in the shape of a purse. I'm a perfectionist too, so I REALLY want to get the best possible education on the subject... I've seen such beautiful purse cakes on this site, so I'm sure there must be something out there... In need of any help or advice!

Sincerely,
Joline icon_smile.gif

Go here: http://cakecentral.com/articles/119/how-to-make-a-purse-cake

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 10

I've done 2 purses so far. I didn't use a book or DVD. You just have to plan it out before-hand...what shape, style, and of course the handle(s), must be done prior.

Here's a cool how-to (from another member) for one style: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1356679

Here's her finished cake: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1355419

MYCHEFTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYCHEFTX Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 10

I have made purse cakes as well ,but never had a how to on it. But i have a background in art . I can free sculpt by a picture. Sculpted cakes are big right now.... I would say if your like me ...I want to know how and why and who and everything I CAN DISCOVER ABOUT A TECHNIQUE . If you have the time a sculpting class in art would be helpful for you to learn perspective and form and scale using clay. Then cake will be a breeze. Most community colleges have art courses if you have the time . Think of it as continuing education in your craft.

Cindy

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:32pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYCHEFTX

If you have the time a sculpting class in art would be helpful for you to learn perspective and form and scale using clay. Then cake will be a breeze. Most community colleges have art courses if you have the time . Think of it as continuing education in your craft.

Cindy

I had never thought of looking into sculpting classes. That is now on my list of things to do when all my little ones are school aged, thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%